P3D Info thread

1 Like

Do you guys run P3D on a HDD or SSD? I’m currently running mine on an older HDD that chugs away when i run P3D. I’m already still at 250GB with quite a few Orbx products and REX. I’m thinking of going to SSD for space and performance

For those of you with lots of plane/scenery addons, what’s your footprint? What size of drive do you use?

Orbx is coming out with more photoreal Orbx-like scenery (UK, Germany, etc.), in addition to the Netherlands. I imagine that would take up some space. I’m thinking 1TB SSD is too small. 2TB is like $400. :expressionless:

I’m running my P3D install on a 500 GB SSD. My P3D install weighs in at 305GB. Lots of ORBX scenery…the ORBX folder itself is 188 GB. My SimObjects/Airplanes folder is around 41GB…

Is relatively easy to update P3D if you have a lot of texture/scenery addons?

I’m still running 4.1 and want to update to 4.3, but I have a lot of Orbx sceneries, including landclass, textures. I also have the REX Texture Direct environmental textures.

I’ve read a process to update. Updating Prepar3D v4 using the Update Component Installers - Prepar3D Tips, Tricks and How To's - The AVSIM Community

Is there any particular thing I should look out for or do, so I don’t bork my install of GBs of scenery.

Thanks.

If you have the VRS SuperBug or any a/c using the TacPack, make sure to check compatibility first.

1 Like

What @chipwich said. I only installed the Client update and not all the other stuff. So far, I only had to reinstall the Fokker 28 and Piper Arrow…both Just Flight products, so not sure if there was a common factor there.

1 Like

What’s the benefit of only installing the client and not Content and Scenery? Other than the potential issues that I mentioned? Wouldn’t you want updates for everything?

I think mostly it is a download and space saving savings. And you wouldn’t have to reinstall all your custom scenery. For those of us with gigs and gigs of ORBX stuff…I’d rather just install the base product and allow my scenery to be the way it is…

1 Like
1 Like

It’s raining Diamond Twins. Carenado releases their version of the awesome DA62 G1000, complete with Synthetic Vision. Probably a must-have for the Chipwich hangar.

…and yet another DA62 announced by a new developer, Vertx.

https://www.avsim.com/home/pr-ann/the-vertx-da62-coming-soon-to-prepar3d-v4-r4900/

1 Like

Nice. I’m still eyeing that Shorts…can’t justify $40 at this moment though…

1 Like

Quality Wings released what looks to be a mid-level simulation of the Bae 146 for P3D v4 for the value price of $19.95. Probably light systems modeling, no cabin, and probably default-ish FMC (I’m not sure of that though) at that price point…so buyer beware. At $20 though, the Bae 146 is one of my favorite airplanes in real life for some quirky reasons.

You do get three-ish variants:

• BAe146-100 and -200 style cockpit (fully analogue) featuring GNS-XLS FMC
  • BAe146-300 style cockpit (simple EFIS) featuring GNS-XLS FMC
  • Avro RJ series style cockpit (full EFIS) featuring GNLU910 FMC

More details here: Flight1.com - Flight Simulator Add-ons for FSX and Prepar3D

A bunch more screens here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151022905824639.425422.84268889638&type=3

1 Like

That’s an aircraft I was seriously thinking about getting for the Christmas Challenge. The QW 787 is pretty good in my opinion, so the company is trustworthy. However, I was told that the system depth was “somewhere between Carenado and an Aerosoft Airbus”. I’m not quite sure what to make of that…

Yeah…I liked the old QW 757 back in the day. At $20 price point…I think you could expect that a lot of systems will be lightly modeled…more like a Bae 146 “experience” than a true study of the airplane.

Actually it’s surprisingly good…particularly for the $20 price point. Of course, I can’t figure out how to get it started. The kneeboard checklist gets a little fuzzy right in the STARTING portion after the preflight…which is odd since it is pretty thorough up until that point.

Hmm now you’ve got my interest. If you ever get to toy with it a bit more, feel free to share your impressions. I’m on the verge of buying it… or waiting until Just Flight releases their Vulcan.

Well, the manual itself is really, really nice. 316 pages of superb systems descriptions. I still haven’t managed to get the thing started…LOL…I left the kneeboard and went to the Quick Start guide (another excellent 68 page guide) but I’m still not able to get the engines to crank. I’m sure it is a switch I have wrong and with two kids fighting behind me (STERILE COCKPIT DAMMIT!)…it is hard to concentrate.

3 Likes

Make them sit in the Mi-8 cockpit for 15 minutes and tell them to start the engines. They will NEVER ever moan about sterile cockpits again :smiley:

1 Like

I have a feeling that 20 bucks is worth much, much more than meets the eye…

(FYI my wallet hates you)

3 Likes

The Quality Wings Bae 146 is a great value…but I will say in VR it is not the prettiest plane in the world. It looks good…but a lot of the instrumentation is of the flat “texture overlay” variant. Not a big deal…but just thought I’d mention it. And I was wrong…it does have a custom FMC that is pretty good…!