P3D Info thread

What seems to be short-sighted is if the F-22 can have a HUD, why not the F-16. I understand that the F-35 uses an HMDS, but with the Viper, I would be happy with the one from the Raptor. Perhaps someone will learn how to mod it. The 3D pit is actually fairly easy on the eyes.

Yeah, I don’t know how all that stuff works (@fearlessfrog does!) - I imagine being a software developer is kind of hard because you often have “surges” in demand when you release stuff…and then stuff sorta idles. So I don’t know how that works with the “plan” you are on with regards to data…if you have to pay a premium to have that capability intact even when you aren’t using it. I’m sure it is all a question of money vs. convenience for the customer. I’m sure what makes it even more difficult is that some places internet is dirt cheap with no caps, whereas other consumers have to be very careful with what they download.

HUD here. I guess that I need to RTFM.

1 Like

Discovered some cool things…

1. If TrackIR doesn’t work as was the case with mine, go here and run SimConnect.msi.
    C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib

2. To turn on the HUD in the F-16, hit Shift-1 to get a menu.

3. and…drum roll please, in order to use AH2 with P3D V4, please see number 1. Found this out after fixing TrackIR.

4 Likes

Cool…I wonder if Simconnect will also make Active Sky 2016 work too… (they are working on an updated version…)

Viper HUD

Baron 58 Type Rating Complete in AH2

1 Like

Perhaps worth a try. I have tried to get the A2A Skylane working, but no joy so far, even though it’s on that compatibility list that I linked. No Carenado/Alabeo titles have worked for me either. Still, the sim seems faster and more stable.

Edit: Not sure how I did it, but there is a HUD in the F-35A now.

Active Sky for P3D v4 beta has been released:

1 Like

FYI, the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended has been updated for P3DV4. Some folks said that they are having a CTD when shutting down the engines, but I haven’t experienced that. There is some speculation that you need to install the SimConnect module that I listed above, so maybe that’s why I’m not having any issues. Regardless, this is one of my favorite aircraft in flight simming and it will most definitely hold me over until the rest catch up. Perfect for AH2. Well done Aerosoft.

2 Likes

I’ll switch to putting pics in the P3D Screens thread soon…just wanted to post a few more with ORBX scenery installed…this is the Southern California ORBX stuff…

Departing somewhere in Southern California (I think it was San Luis Obispo)…

Again, I really like the cloud shadows…

ORBX coastline area…

Want to know how to kill your frame rate? Try Los Angeles at high settings, and I have installed Traffic 360, which further populates the gates, making even more frame killing objects. I was varying between 20 and 9 FPS over the Los Angels area. I’m either going to have to bump my sliders down or turn some shadows down or something…

Really beautiful. I’ll look at some of the other ORBX regions and post some screens soon…

3 Likes

Upgrade time :smiley:

More discoveries. Dino’s T-45C (no TacPack), Javier’s carriers v2, AICarriers .net, and the recently released LH2 USS Essex all seem to work fine in P3D V4.

2 Likes

It’s actually very easy.

Look in the VC section of the F-22’s cockpit cfg. It’ll be some sort of HUD! gauge. You can copy that text into the F-16 VC section and then scale it to fit.

1 Like

FSUIPC5 for P3D V4 is out.

http://secure.simmarket.com/pete-dowson-fsuipc5-for-p3dv4.phtml

1 Like

Thank you for all the info in this thread - very helpful :slight_smile:

I’ll get v4 after the general election (today) - when Sterling is sure to recover it’s value after recent drops. makes it a little less expensive for the 4th time.

I bought it just now but I have a question about FSUIPC 5. Anyone know if this will operate the same way as v4 - where you can install it just for the add-ons that need it, or pay for it and get the full package?

I ask because I paid for v4 and though I used it a lot to start with, in my latest installs I haven’t used the extra functions at all (it doesn’t recognise my throttle for some reason, though P3D does), so I would go back to the basic mode for now.

TiA

I haven’t tried it that way, but check this thread. There is a lot of info about version 5.x

Thanks. I’ve just installed v4 (and FSUIPC 5 - looked through the docs but no clue, but I guess it must have the same set-up as before, else people would have to buy it to use many add-ons).

I really liked it - in VR it was initially good, but after swapping planes a few times, problems started appearing and after a while the left and right views weren’t synchronised and gave me some nasty eyestrain.

Was the first time I have been able to see the Connie in VR, as I have never got it to work in FlyInside.

The future looks good :slight_smile:

I think here is the key take-away from the version 5 release.

This is the 64-bit equivalent to 4.967 above, but it is an ongoing development with many parts still missing.

This is probably why a number of functions are inoperable in Dino’s F-35A/B/C.

I’ve spent some time testing add-ons in VR today. It’s a mixed bag - most of the aircraft that don’t work seem to be a texture issue. For example the freeware Aeroprakt A22 Foxbat, which worked perfectly in P3Dv3 with FlyInside, doesn’t appear. You can hear it all working just fine, and the lights are there (nav, strobe etc) but the aircraft image itself is missing.

That goes for all views. I had the same with the A2A WoP A6M5 Zero. These are older models, of course, especially the Zero.

I also had issues switching aircraft - P3Dv4 would invariably crash once I changed to a different aircraft. I’m also finding the scenery textures very light and washy in VR, and some of the models textures, too. The Alphasim B-24 Liberator actually worked well, but the textures were way too light. I had this with the Alphasim Blenheim in P3Dv2 - and Dave Garwood sent me an updated model file, which sorted the problem very well, so it wasn’t the actual textures that were at fault, but some setting in the aircraft model. I don’t know my way around them well enough to have any idea about that.

Tom Piglet’s A-29B Tucano worked excellently, v4 and VR, as did the Icarus Gladiator - though I realised the FM is really awful in that, so I won’t fly it again. Had it for years and never realised!

Although the sim is running very smoothly, the VR view sticks on occasion, and the view through the canopy is often poor - as if someone had cleaned it and left it smeary.

YMMV :slight_smile:

1 Like