Racing Sim Screenshots and Videos

Thanks, Dan - it’s not that VR is bad - just that pancake/4k just looks so good these days (I’m still on an ‘old’ HD monitor as I didn’t see a need to upgrade due to VR being my display of choice).

1 Like

Was up early this morning to get in my iRacing NASCAR truck fix at Martinsville. 3 races, 60 laps each. Was pleased to finished in the top 3 in 2 out of 3 races. At the end of the 2nd race, I was running 4th or so and got punted hard, taking me out of podium potential. But hey it’s Martinsville short track racing- lots of bruised egos… and trucks. :grimacing:

How race 3 began…

How race 3 ended, but still managed to hold on to 2nd, despite a banged up truck due to other drivers’ misfortunes.

6 Likes

Two more videos on races with GermanSimRacing.de in Budapest with the Cup Porsche 992. Not much happened in either race at the back of the pack, where I rode.

3 Likes

TeTeT, is that a SimHub overlay you are using?

Yep, it’s the Multiclass overlay by Kevin, Misc - rF2/AMS2 | Simhub | MMO - Modern Multiclass Overlay Standings/Relative/Tires/Radar | RaceDepartment

I’ve added an input overlay as well, to see the throttle/break/wheel inputs.

Note that my racing overlay looks slightly different from the streaming overlay. I also use a track map and the wheels overview. If need be I can make a screenshot of the actual race setup.

Cheers,
TeTeT

1 Like

Maybe others might want to see it. I’d probably just use the leaderboard and radar thingy. It’s been a long time since I raced rFactor online, and still sorting out mirrors and pit (box) stop management.

I setup the IR18 cars at Long Beach last night, after watching the real race. I had already done this with AMS2, but wanted to try driving it in rF2. I ended up having to turn the AI aggression down to 5%, since at 25%, they were happy to bump or punt you any time you were on their racing line. That seemed to work well. I take back what I said about 3rd party tracks and cars being the culprit, because the IR18 cars at the Studio 397 Long Beach are obviously in-house projects.

Man, I thought that Sebring was rough. S397 Long Beach is a bear. I had to turn down FFB FEI (feedback effect intensity) on my wheel, to keep it from jumping out of my hands in places. I think that the latest updates have changed FFB a lot, maybe not for the better. Still working on it. Really fun though. AMS2 IR18 mod is a little easier, IMHO. They are both great driving experiences.

1 Like

This is the setup I use for racing. Most of the info is concentrated in the bottom and to the right. Not visible isn the radar here, which is approximately at the right corner of the virtual mirror.

Long Beach is a nice track, need to do it with Indy, only drove it with the Cup Porsche so far :smiley:

Let’s see if I have energy to tackle the Nordschleife at LFM tonight :smiley:

2 Likes

The last few days, I’ve been switching back and forth between the AMS2 IndyCar mod 1.0.3 (new mod physics) …

…and rFactor 2 IR18 car, in their respective versions of Long Beach GP circuit.

I’ve been trying to decide which FFB feels better, or which better translates to a real world driving experience. On the surface, with rFactor 2’s (Studio 397) accolades and professional sim portfolio, this might seem a forgone conclusion. For sure, it is the more detailed of the two, meaning that there are perceived subtleties on the curbs and road surface anomalies that one just doesn’t feel in AMS2. The latter seems slightly more dead. But one thing that I feel is superior in Automobilista 2, is the feedback the FFB modeling gives you when the back end goes. You can catch slides, both large and small, in a way that I’ve not encountered in other sims. Take Long Beach T10, the next to last turn, a 2nd gear left hand sweeper that feels much like a skid pad. In AMS2 you can catch your slides, where in rF2, they seem binary. Either the car is gripping or you have lost it. Which is more accurate, I’ve not driven a Dallara :smile: But it sure is fun to catch a slide once in a while, something that I have about a zero chance in the rF2 IR18.

4 Likes

Great stuff, Dan. I’ve been neglecting my racing sims and really need to put some time in. I had a chat with Mrs earlier and she’s going to look after the mutt on Friday so that I can spend the whole day just driving my sims.
I need to decide which one (or two) I’m going to concentrate on. I have a number of AC mods downloaded - mainly thanks to this thread - that I haven’t tried yet, so that’s up first. I still like PCars though many say PCars 2 is better - ideally I’d drive both, but not enough time, so… gotta choose.

Then there’s ACC, DiRT, which I only did some simple test stages on, DiRT 2 which I don’t think I actually drove in at all, yet. Plus rFactor 2 which I haven’t driven hardly at all since it went gold, but drove a lot in EA. On top of that, I still want to try and get RBR working in VR.

So a busy day at the wheel on Friday.

oh - I decided not to buy any more driving sims, it would be just silly.

edit: about catching slides in race sims - funny you should say that cos I thought exactly the same thing when I was able to do that in a race in VR, but I can’t remember which sim - it was probably either rF2 or PCars 2.

3 Likes

I was on the original PCars alpha/beta, Ben Collins (ex-stig) was their driving consultant and used to frequently post on the forum his feedback on the various builds. It’s a while but remember him saying this very point about one of the open wheel cars, that you should be able to catch the rear wheels breaking away if you are quick enough on this particular car.

They used this car specifically to validate some of the physics of the tyre modelling work they were doing because he’d driven it so much.

Also remember Lewis Hamilton saying on top gear he did one overtake in a F1 at Interlagos and deliberately kicked the back end of the car out to make the driver he overtook not immediately retake the position.

I still like driving PCars2, like you Jonny I’m think I’ve enough race sims, but I am eyeing up AMS2. I’ll wait for a sale.

4 Likes

Interesting keets. When Johnny couldn’t remember the sim, I was also thinking PC2. I keep it around to drive the Spirit of Le Mans DLC and remember catching a big slide at Tertre Rouge in the 512 M.

Since this is a screenshot thread, obligatory Project Cars 2 snap.

This trailer is so good.

4 Likes

I have dialled my driving sims back to AC, DiRT Rally 2 (but DR1 for Pikes Peak) and PC2. AC gives me the greatest variety (too much?) but PC2 is still my go to sim, especially in VR.

Obligatory shot:

7 Likes

At least we no longer have to put up with kerbs this bumpy…

4 Likes

ACC 1.9 ----- 3 new cars at Valencia. So far I really enjoy the Ferrari handling. Mostly neutral and feels great (FFB and Buttkicker) on exit. The Porsche turns in real good, almost too good under heaving braking. The Huracan feels a bit underpowered or… just doesn’t want to turn in. Front end seems to slide from entry to apex. But overall, really diggin’ the overhauled tire model.

• Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo2

• Porsche 911 GT3 R (992)

• Ferrari 296 GT3

7 Likes

Did some laps at the glen to compare the new cars.

First up the old trusty NSX. I like the balance of this car at this track.

Now the Ferrari. Very balanced, Similar to the NSX for me. Good easy drive.

Next up the Huracan, She doesn’t like to turn. Seemed OK getting back on the throttle.

Then the Porsche, Rocket ship, Wow! The gearing on this thing is crazy.

Times on a 2 lap Superpole run, Default safe setup

NSX- 1:51.485
Ferrari-1:50.182
Huracan- 1:50.972
Porsche- 1:49.925

My personal best at the Glen is a 1:49.832 in the NSX.

5 Likes

I tried the Porsche 992, Lexus RC F, and the Ferrari 296 at the Glen. I usually drive the 991, so thought that I would be quickest in the 992, but that was misguided. The Lexus was a bit less oversteery than the Porsche, but still didn’t mind sticking its tail out. It delivers glorious naturally aspirated V8 sounds. The 296 had no bad habits and could take a sharp turn-in without losing the back end. It was the easiest to drive.

Porsche 992 1:51.942
Lexus RC F 1:50.240
Ferrari 1:48.802

I think that the Ferrari also benefited from being last, because I learned a few lines that were quicker than what I had remembered driving here in the past.

I found a nice Vasser Sullivan racing skin on RD.

7 Likes

Nice screenshots, guys! Whilst modern racing sims don’t quite look like real life, they don’t look like PC games, either!

1 Like

Threw together this video with the 2023 GT World Challenge Pack cars around Tormo Valencia.

4 Likes

Tell you what, I really miss the old endurance races from way back at SimHQ. The 24 hour /12 ones like Nordschleife in the BMW M3 or Fuji. Can’t actually remember what we drove at Fuji - some kind of GT but I remember how much fun it was.

Then there was the inimitable GP79 races. So many hours and days spent in practice for such piddle-poor performance! My favourite failures were österreichring and Zandvoort.
All the sharing and laughs and helping each other out of the gravel traps and so on.
Then there were the GTs at Sebring in GTR2 - ah, I just couldn’t nail that damn track! So many laps, so many cock-ups. It was always the back bit that screwed me up.

I saw a couple of the guys in another forum when I was Googling for some info and it got me cleaning my rose tints…

First rate community spirited events.

3 Likes

Good memories. That was a great group of guys. I was mostly a non-factor for the short races but seemed to do better at endurance. I remember when we ran our own version of Le Mans 24 virtual in rFactor with 3 and 4 driver teams more than a decade before it received actual media notice and sanction during the COVID-19 lockdown. Doug Atkinson was race marshal and hosted the servers, if memory serves. We had a few crashes and resets, but mostly it ran as advertised. Getting out of bed at 5 in the morning to drive a stint added a layer of realism. I had teammates in Scotland and India, so the international atmosphere was real.

I remember Fugi well, because it had a rather inglorious ending for the SimHQ LMP1 team. It was one of the first races that we entered against teams outside of SimHQ, including one from ISR. We were running a beautifully painted Audi R18, running in a comfortable P3. I took over for the second stint and after a few laps, had fallen into a comfortable pace, maybe even gaining a little on the P2 car. Then disaster happened. Rounding the last turn, coming back onto the start/finish straight, I gave the Audi a bit too much throttle. I caught the initial slide, but over-corrected, swapped a few times, then on to the grass for a short ride to hit the wall very near the finish line. The car had slowed most of it’s momentum, and I was sure that a quick pit stop would repair aero damage. At least that was my thought just before tapping the wall.

But the sim gods frowned mightily on my transgression and when I hit, in a nano-second half of the field got discoed. Much swearing was relayed over the marshal’s Team Speak channel and in-game chat. “Who’s the a-hole in the Audi who hit the wall?” I don’t think that organizers allowed a restart in order to let the disconnected teams rejoin the race. Or some other factor prevented us from rejoining.
I ran into Darin Gangi a few years later, probably at E3, and he was light-hearted about the incident.

While looking for some of the old SimHQ endurance race, I found a driver’s schedule for an 8 hour at Daytona.

A SimHQ McLaren skin from 2007 with @guod, @BeachAV8R, 20mm, and Jens driving.

6 Likes