Sim Racing/Driving Discussion and News

Yeah, it was ahead of all of the GTE cars for a while, but had a 10 min stop to replace brake consumables and then a longer one to rebuild a drivetrain components. The commentators said that it was the gearbox rebuild. That dropped down behind the first 9 GTEs.

NASCAR was described as a modified gen 7 Cup car.

2 Likes

Yeah the NASCAR Chevy was in its own class technically Conditional/experimental. Would be cool to see more NASCAR teams inspired by this result to enter more cars for future Le Mans races and create their own official class.

1 Like

I had to record the last 5 hours of the race and just finished watching it. Enjoyed it - endurance racing is always a game of patience. I donā€™t think Hirakawa deserved too much blame for his crash - or not the effects of it, because letā€™s face it, it was a tall order to catch and pass the Ferrari for the lead at that point. Yes, he made a mistake that effectively ended any chance they may have had, but as nothing untoward happened to Guidi in the lead Ferrari, I donā€™t think Toyota would have won in any case.

JB was obviously blown away by the experience and Iā€™m sure weā€™ll see him racing at le Mans again. Nice that they managed to bring that NASCAR cup home despite the setbacks. I donā€™t watch that series - never been a fan of it or any oval based racing. That car looked great, though.

I think the commentators on Eurosport were right, though, that we are entering a new era of GT and Endurance racing and so far itā€™s looking pretty impressive - itā€™s what got me back into sim racing, thatā€™s for sure.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad it was there, especially since it came with tons of audible machismo, but wasnā€™t the NASCAR in a class of 1 called ā€œMost Innovativeā€? I think that they meant most innovative 1964. :rofl:

(Moved LM screens to screenshot thread)

3 Likes

24 hours in 10 minute highlight reel. But no mention of Garage 56 NASCAR Camaro and very little GT coverage. Plenty of crashes though.

17 minutes of Garage 56 NASCAR. Love that sound! Passing the GT cars like theyā€™re standing still

2 Likes

About the 24 hrs of Le Mansā€¦ I just thought it was so funny how big the NASCAR car was compared to the Hypersā€¦ the Hypers had to peek out when behind it. lol

Now about the just released F1 2023ā€¦

Just my Opinion, JMO, Iā€™m allowed that even thou itā€™s wrong. lol

I dislike EA/EA Sports a lot as a game company.
I dislike real life F1 racing, I think itā€™s the most boring car racing in the world. And Iā€™ve been to a Miami race, watch and been to many others like GT World, IMSA, Rally, Rallycross, Nitroā€¦ motorcycles, etc etcā€¦ F1 is boring to watch BUT

I love the F1 series of games, buy it every year and this one, so far, is the best and most tuned driving experience yetā€¦ almost perfect if it wasnā€™t for all those stupid EA upgrades, unlocks, and tier levelsā€¦ but as a racing game itā€™s awesome. Vegas looks beautiful.

JMO

4 Likes

CarPGā€¦

1 Like

I can see some positive aspects of the CXP design for upgrades, over earning cash from races globally.

Summary

Regarding the Car Pass included with the Premium Editionā€¦ Do we know if those cars be available in-game without Car Pass? Meaning, will logging play time/unlocks allow access to these cars? Or are they truly DLC only?

Not sure how Car Pass vehicles were handled in prior releases.

EDIT: Found the answer finally.

Iā€™m with you Chuck.

The last F1 game I purchased was 2011. I lost interest in real F1 about ten years ago and wasnā€™t all that upset when it disappeared from free-to-air TV.

These new LMH cars though, they are next level.

1 Like

I gave F1 23 a go early this morning before heading out. Close to 2 hours. My inital impression. Its a fun ā€œexperienceā€, but not really a simulator. If youā€™re really into the single player career stuff, then this should could keep you entertained.
The whole unlock system is typical EA gameplay as evident in their other big franchise titles.

Performance wise, 125-175 fps on my 4090 OC. 5120X1440 G9 monitor. Ultra/max settings.
VR: I never saw fps drop below 90 on my HP G2. Though I couldnā€™t launch it in OpenComposite. Maybe OC needs an update.

Lacking mouse support. :roll_eyes:
Will post screens and videos later this week.

2 Likes

Thanks for the review guys. Itā€™s getting a very lukewarm reception from sim racing influencers. They are pretty much saying the same thing, bugs, difficulty in setting up controls, low fidelity FFB, and no mouse support. Mike604 reported blurry graphics at times. Basic stuff that probably will fall on deaf ears to the console crowd and masses who buy the game for the F1 experience.

I havenā€™t made up my mind, but regardless will probably wait a good while for the bugs to be squashed. Iā€™ll hold with F1 22 for the time being, which I donā€™t drive that often anyway. But I guess if you want to drive Las Vegas, the choice is pretty clear.

A few weeks ago, I setup AC, rF2, F1 22, and AMS2 at Monaco and came away thinking that the latest RSS F1 car in AC was the best driving experience. Surprisingly, rF2 with its free community F1 mod was really bad, especially in VR. But that was before AMS2 revised their car physics. Now, Iā€™m not so sure. Itā€™s pretty good.

At least we have choices, so very happy for that. Whatā€™s a shame about F1 23 is that if the devs would have added mouse support and an improved FFB, then that would have even brought race sim junkies on board. 2 features from glory.

1 Like

Those sort of things along with too much FMV is what puts me off many racing games (and COD!)

*though I like career modes and the Gran Turismo system - pity there isnā€™t such a system in any PC racing sim that I know of, although rFactor made an attempt that was okay if you stuck to it. For a while, anyway.

how about GT Legends? available on steam.

I have read that it has one of the best racing careers, never played it though.

Glad to hear that. Iā€™ve played almost every F1 since 2010 and after skipping 22 was looking forward to this and hoping they didnā€™t blow it.

Iā€™m playing 22 on Game Pass (and doing OK with it), but am going to purchase either 22 or 23 after waiting for patches and opinions to settle.

1 Like

Confirmed,
2023 Forza Motorsport takes the franchise from numbered sequels to a Service Updated platform akin to I-Racing.

1 Like

Yeah I saw that. I wish sports titles would do this.

For XBox players, this means buying a Live Gold subscription is required for single player access (or any access, outside Quick Play), correct?

Or is the Live Gold only for actual multiplayer access?

if you pay $70 for the game in october,

Updates to the core should come regardless of Subscription level for XBL/Gamepass.

New Content will be added via DLC etc.

So instead of building a new sim every 3 years, they are going to launch the New Forza Motorsport.

And constantly add new tracks and cars every few months as they are laser scanned etc etc.

Wether XBL Gold/GamePass Subscribers get more stuff for free after initial launch is yet to be determined, but I suspect they will.

Outside of any ground breaking new tech.

Games are pretty much to the point now where the physics and graphics cant be improved anymore.

Under the hood things like AI in Forza were always meh, which is why i spent 90% of the time in online w/ friends.

But if Turn10 Feels the Core is stable, then they can focus the majority of their Assets team on new content, and the core team on maintenance, and QoL Updates.

1 Like

My thoughts on F1 23 after a good number of hours

Main Menu

First, my expectations of F1 23 were that it is more of a game than a simulator. But you get an entire ā€œdriver experienceā€ that other racing titles do not offer. Itā€™s typical EA content like the Madden and 2K series that my oldest kid plays. :grin: The content is deep notably in the single player world.
Career Mode has Driver and Owner + Driver modes. PLENTY of carrots there to keep you busy and hooked.
The narrative-driven story mode,Braking Point, is back.
F1 World is full of solo and mutliplayer content. Crossplay is optional so you can compete against XBOX and PlayStation players.

Some things that need to be worked on/implemented:
There is no mouse support (I get it. Itā€™s geared for consoles. But stillā€¦)

FFB is nearly non-existent, notably at newer tracks like Jeddah and Qatar, except when going over curbs or getting involved in an accident. Other (older) tracks like Suzuka provide good feedback. I guess rfactor and AMS 2 have spoiled us.

Some tracks at not optimized, graphically, very well. Brasil is a good example. One race, the fps is good. The next race, itā€™s a slideshow. Some times the graphics seem blurry and other times itā€™s clear. The coding definitely needs some cleaning up.

VR runs pretty good, overall, using SteamVR. As of this post, OpenComposite is not supported, yet. But accroding to their Discord server, it is being worked on.

Overall, for what F1 23 offers, itā€™s a fun, entertaining experience. Iā€™m sure weā€™ll see patches and updates in the near feature addressing some of these concerns. When I want a more authentic F1 fix, Iā€™ll head back to AMS 2 and rFactor 2.

UPDATE: A cool realistic feature F1 23 introduced is the accumulation of tire marbles. You will see it stick to the tires if/when you drive over the marbles area AND your tires will be affected until the marbles are cleared off.

4 Likes