Sim Racing/Driving Discussion and News

For the small group of Mudspike simracers and motorsports fans, thought we could start a separate thread for sim racing chat (to include non-competitive titles such as American and Euro Truck Simulator, BEAM NG, etc) . Take note of the Sim Racing Screenshots and Videos thread

A few of years ago, there was a Mudspike Dirt Rally league that apparently faded into oblivion.

4 Likes

New to simracing? Don’t know which one to get? This is a great breakdown of the many sim racing titles available. Most if not all are “study level” like (for those DCS fans on the outside looking in).
Which ones suits your style? Are you single player focused? Race purely online/multiplayer? Rally? GT? Open wheel? All of the above?

2 Likes

Anyone heard of the upcoming title Rennsport ? Currently in beta testing which you can sign up for.

4 Likes

Ive got an eye on Rennsport, Looks like it could be very good.

1 Like

Hmm, never heard of this one. I really liked the first 2 Project Cars games but then after the outrage when PC3 came out I skipped it.
I’ve only been playing the F1 games and ACC since then. I do have PC2 and AC and Dirt Rally 2 still installed, but I never manage to find time to touch them.

From what I’ve seen Rennsport started with an esport event with a multi - 100k price money involved. There’s been youtube or twitch live videos of the events and such, though I haven’t watched anything. Not sure where it will fit in, probably it is a German iRacing clone in the end?

TeTeT

Do you know if they planned to be subscription based? The video looked and sounded pretty good, IMHO. Have been enjoying AMS2 and RF2 the last few weeks. The FFB in AMS2 is really good now if you haven’t tried it in a while.

Rennsport will be free-to-play, but have the option of a subscription, like iRacing, to gain access to league management tools and more cars and tracks. In other words, War Thunder economy style :smile: Hopefully this title doesn’t fall down the hole of F2P, but pay-to-win.

1 Like

ICYMI, Assetto Corsa 2 is in development and slated for a Spring 2024 release. It was confirmed in a recent finanical statement.

2 Likes

Haven’t driven AMS2 in months now. Last time I checked it would not properly recognize my wheel and it was a bit of a hassle to calibrate. Maybe time for a fresh attempt!

1 Like

I have never driven AMS2. IS it based of RF2 or RF1 engine? I think i skipped it because it was based of the RF1 engine.

I could be wrong, seems like it might be worth getting, I hardly play RF2 these days

AMS 2 is based on the Madness Engine which was originally used for the Project CARS series.

I am with @chipwich, the FFB is solid. Lots of diverse content. VR is great and probably runs the smoothest amongst the big racing titles. The open wheel content, notably the Formula cars, is fantastic. The karts are a blast to drive as well.

2 Likes

Hmm, I do love the first 2 PCARS. Might have to check AMS2 out.

The GT3, GTE, and prototypes are good as well. I really like what they did with presets too, which allows you to build a mixed classes event quickly. And the new IndyCar free add-on is payware level all the way around.

1 Like

So what will AC2 have that is different from ACC? A broader selection of cars and tracks?

1 Like

It was just announced for next year, so I suppose that no one outside of Kunos knows. I have to feel that with Content Manager and CSP, AC1 will be around a long while regardless.

TBH, with RF2, AMS2, ACC, and AC that my hard drive and simming time feel pretty saturated.

1 Like

Well ACC focuses specifically on the GT World Challenge GT3/4 cars, but does not allow mods. AC is broad, like rFactor, and welcomes 3rd party mods and add-ons. So it would be fair to assume AC2 will be like rF2. But like @chipwich said, AC1 will be around a long time with the extensive library of mods until if and when thoae are updated to AC2.

My problem with AC1 is “broad but shallow”. Lots of cars and tracks, but it seemed like there wasn’t a lot to do with them besides run hot laps/time trials and perhaps have other cars there to pass/be passed by.

Now to be fair, I’ve barely got any time in ACC to this point so I’m not sure how different it is.

ACC utilizes a safety rating system that is geared for multiplayer and leagues. AC doesn’t have a robust multiplayer, but I don’t think it really ever was designed for online racing. Maybe AC2 will incorporate some of ACC’s multiplayer code. :man_shrugging:

I would love AC2 to focus on LMP cars or open wheel

1 Like