Star Wars (News, Thoughts, and Musings... No poetry...)

3 Likes

Haha yeah!
The last few strips weren’t that great IMO, but overall that’s a hilarious webcomic!

SUMMON BIGGER FISH!!

“We can still make last call at Applebee’s.”

Classic! :rofl:

1 Like

If any of y’all are familiar with the “How it Should Have Ended” series:

1 Like

Lastest and final trailer

1 Like

Retelling of Return of the Jedi confirmed.

This time I’ll wait for reactions from the first week of showings before I decide to go see this one.

1 Like

The question is: does it matter for you?

I enjoyed TLJ (although it wasn’t exactly a great movie) but if I had listened to others (some of them haters that wanted to hate it and did hate it before they even saw it) I might not have enjoyed it. I would have let them influence my judgement instead if making it for myself).

For me something like that is always a hard decision.

1 Like

The derivativeness (is that a word?) of the story of the 3rd trilogy is at times a bit sad to behold.

Rogue One was great though, IMHO the best SW movie since Episode 6.

7 Likes

I did enjoy Rogue One but in my book it ranks pretty low compared to other Star Wars movies.

I didn’t like the characters. It was …bland for me. IMO it also built too much on existing nostalgia, it didn’t add much to the universe.

1 Like

It probably added more to the story than The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi. I’m not being a hater, but “the new trilogy” movies are specifically redoing things for the sake of nostalgia without adding much new if anything at all. Take the Force Awakens if you take out the rehash of A New Hope, the story is only, we need to find luke, rehash, we found him…

5 Likes

I know which of my friends hold similar opinions to the franchise, based on discussions around the new movies and other media, so I’ll weigh that. Honestly, I HATED TLJ (I’ve already discussed why in other threads), and so much like with the new Star Trek movie reboot, I’m taking a “fool me once” attitude.

I’ll still go see it, but it’s a matter of when. I didn’t see Into Darkness until a couple of weeks after opening, and I’m VERY glad I didn’t waste the money on the 3D IMAX version, and I didn’t bother to see Beyond until it was out on streaming.

This exactly is what I meant by my comment. And yes, Rogue One has been my favorite of the new movies, bar none; it actually feels like there’s a rebellion going on, feels grittier, more real, more desperate. Exactly like a ragtag rebellion against a massive empire should feel, in my opinion.

7 Likes

Disagree there. Halfway.
The story is a rehash and not very interesting, I agree with that.
The movies do however add to the universe IMO. They add ships, planets, uniforms, important characters and so on.
To me that’s the point about Rogue One. Sure, it adds two planets and a few characters, but it heavily relies on the technology from the original trilogy and it even has Vader, Leia, Tarkin and so on, “reusing assets” basically, checking the nostalgia check boxes with dozens of Easter eggs for OT fans.

YMMV but I have the feeling that they overdid that and it didn’t add much to the movie.

Well, that’s fair of course.

The point of Rogue One was to fill in a story mentioned briefly in the original trilogy that people had wondered about.

2 Likes

Yeah, sure. That itself wasn’t bad, and I did feel entertained by it despite the shortcomings it has in my view. In fact I only formed my current opinion about it after I watched it a few more times on BluRay, once the excitement had faded.

Edit: in fact I think the characters are the weakest part in my book. I instantly had a connection to Rey, Finn, Poe and BB-8, while I can hardly remember any names from Rogue One except the old characters I already knew (which includes Saw Gerrera, who is known from the Clone Wara animated series).

I’m a stupid fanboi and despite what I thought of any previous movies I’ll be there ASAP to watch it!

3 Likes

I think the marketing group puts together AMAZING trailers for these films, but like many of you guys short of Rogue One I’ve left the theater with most of them just not all that interested or even disappointed with what I’ve seen. Disney certainly has the financial backing to make them successful, but I also feel like being owned by Disney has hurt the franchise more than helped it.

3 Likes

The arguably worst SW movie ever (Episode 2 IMHO) came straight from George Lucas himself. The love scenes are tremendously bad.

But yeah, one can’t help but wonder why with all this budget the new movies feel so bland.

2 Likes

Speaking of good Star Wars stories, I always wondered why they didn’t just go this route…

4 Likes

We all have, trust me.

Would’ve been too easy, and it wouldn’t allow JJ to add his “artistic vision.”

4 Likes