System Shock

Looking forward to this one, hope it has coop like SS2:

2 Likes

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

Nice :+1: I actually thought the remake was abandoned.

Btw the original version works in vorpx :vr: so you can enjoy real retro full VR environment (albeit a little pixelated) with sprite-made opponents :grinning:

shocked virtual reality GIF

2 Likes

That’s some dark magic software that converts first- / third-person games into stereoscopic 3D and then warps the image into your VR goodness.

Magic. Pure magic.

1 Like

There’s a demo on Steam so you can try out a bit.

1 Like

A Vorpx demo?

1 Like

No, System Shock.

1 Like

Im not sure if genuinely real. But a trial can be downloaded here.

https://vorpx.software.informer.com/17.2/

My phone didnt detonate, so may be ok

1 Like

I have all possible version of System Shock. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Beach played with Vorpx in 2020, then there was a big update in 2021 so it is probably more mature now but we haven’t had anyone on Mudspike review it since

I wanted to play it but wasn’t allowed to buy it (and also my PC couldn’t run it IIRC). When I finally could my hands on it 15 years later it was just too old for me to enjoy.

Similar with Deus Ex for me. I missed the opportunity to play those great games at the time and now I am too used to modern gameplay and graphics to really enjoy them.

3 Likes

I absolutely HATED Deus Ex when i first “played it” hated every single second

I was so so wrong

2 Likes

TbF i played invisible war on my OG xbox and had a blast with it. So much that i gave the original another go, and fell in love.

I still absolutely loathe the new ones though. They arent my cup of tea at all

2 Likes

I think the key is nostalgia.

I can still play Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, The Secret of Monkey Island, or Wing Commander I, and don’t care about graphics or old school gameplay, most likely because I played those games for the first time when they were new.

I have trouble getting into old games that I haven’t played before.

As for newer games of System Shock or Deus Ex: Never played any. My OCD usually forces me to play the first part of a series first if possible. The same effect prevents me from playing RDR2 or Witcher 3, I havent played through their predecessors.

2 Likes

I struggled to enjoy witcher 3. Same reason as you. Loads of people greeting me as an old fried.
Will Ferrell Elf GIF by filmeditor

RdR just bores me senseless. Wife struggles as well (shes still playing it) its just grand theft horse. Every time im on a horse, i just keep thinking, this would be so much faster in a car

1 Like

I already had that problem in Witcher 2. I have played part one but that was long ago. I struggled with part two and basically quit after the second chapter or so, and now I cannot start part 3 because I have to finish part 2 but don’t want to.

For RDR2 the thing is: I almost exclusively play on the PC. I wanted to wait for the promised (IIRC) PC release of RDR1 but… well, I am still waiting.

I also think it would bore me, but an open western world just strikes a chord with me.

Ive never ever found that period of history particularly interesting. Just doesnt capture my attention

It may be a long wait still.

If you want to cut it short, it plays quite well on an Xbox emulator.

2 Likes

Heh, I played Witcher 1 and 2, thought they were fine, had no problems with them really. This was after W3 came out that I finally played them for the first time, so they were already dated. But that didn’t bother me. They looked good enough.
However, when I went to play W3 I quickly got disillusioned. For one, the world seemed TOO big. I had no idea which way to go next and too many quests I ran into brick walls by having to go halfway across the map or into an area I couldn’t reach! Imagine playing a game as an Allied soldier in WWII and you start a quest in N Africa in 1943 and the next stage is in occupied France…but you have to wait till July 1944 till you can do it. So now that quest is going to hang out for months staring at you while you need to do a ton of other stuff before you can return to it.

Then there was the combat. I could handle it in W1 and W2, but W3 was just too difficult for me even on the easiest levels. My friend told me “oh you have to use the oils and potions and things”, but other than healing I NEVER use those in games. Not in Skyrim or LOTR or any fantasy games. I just don’t think about them. So I died over and over again. Put in 15 hrs and quit W3 and never returned.

As for Deus Ex, the first one is great, the reboots are good, Invis War is awful. I played it once when it came out, tried to replay it years later and couldn’t put more than an hour in. Just badly designed.

Thief series, though, I’ve played them all and they’re all good. T2 was my favorite.

1 Like