Thoughts on new PC.

The new PC works great!
There’s quite a lot to do to install everything in one go…
Now I have Steam, Oculus, DCS and IL-2 up and running.
Gained a substantial performance increase, but still not even close to max settings, in VR. Not that I expected to be.
Downloading X-Plane now.

Are there any tricks I need to apply in Win10? Stuff that can be turned off to save some CPU cycles…
I remember I got a tip to turn Hyperthreading off, in BIOS, on the i7 4790K. What about the 8700K?

@chipwich
X-Plane 11 latest beta installed and running fine… @5GHz on the CPU.

1 Like

Thanks Troll for linking that video. I tried those settings, and can fly around a bit in the C172. But load a complex aircraft, and it runs for about 5 mins, followed by a system lockup. The recovery screen shows CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, which I guess could be driver related. Still, if I fall back to 4.8, I don’t have lockups in any aircraft. Will keep tinkering, but given the very negligible performance improvement, I’d rather have stable.

PS: I should say that my case does not flow a lot of air. It is rather built for being compact and quiet. So, I should probably be happy with a stable 4.8 OC.

Ok, I have only tried the C172 and the Beech Baron, so far… Maybe if I try something with heavier systems, things may different.

What kind of temps are you getting?
I find that my CPU core temps fluctuate alot. 30-60°C.

Pics of the new PC, in actual SimBox use, with new dustfilters on all fans.

9 Likes

All set for a LAN party :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice! That turned out really well I think.
How’s the noise level of it, seeing the fans are pointed your way, more or less?

And, not to change the subject completely I hope, that rail system for the rudder pedals looks intriguing, do you have any close ups of that by chance?
I’m looking to constuct something similar myself for my old simPed’s, although I was thinking of using a pair of drawer rails, and a spring loaded pin. But this looks simpler/better I think.

Thanks! I think so too… :slight_smile:

I don’t have any numbers, but rather quiet. At least when compared to my old PC.
The front fans are the ones pushing air out through the radiator. Hardly notice them,

Have a look here:

I’ll be happy to answer any questions in that thread.

1 Like

Awesome box you got there troll! I’m cockpit-interior-green with envy :hugs:

2 Likes

Really? You look a bit more babyfood green, to me… :rofl:

Thanks!

Found this and thought it was interesting…

1 Like

Indeed! I learned a lot.

1 Like

I especially thought about you! :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Will send more chocolate.

1 Like

Quick update … Back in march I picked up a EVGA GQ750w PSU to go with my 1070ti … well … The PSU has just gone to the nowegian fjords / bit the bullet / pushing up daises… is a ex-PSU … it lasted just over 2 months … fortunately it doesn’t look look like it took anything with it … so now begins the RMA procedure but i am not sure I really want another EVGA unit

No it isn’t! It’s just resting…

Seriously though, that’s too bad.
Hope it works out well.

1 Like

I added a USB 3 panel mount and mounted it with black screws and aluminium collars, because…why not?
That’s when it struck me that I had enough screws and collars for the fan guards as well…

Problem is, I didn’t run this by the art director.
He’s going to throw a fit if he gets wind of this!

2 Likes

2 Likes

So… Since USB3 normally is marked by the colour blue, I thought that…

I really am beyond salvation, aren’t I…? :scream:

No, au contraire you’re a man of wealth and taste.
immagine

1 Like