Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

:grin:

For overall sim enjoyment, what would you prioritize:

A) replacing the warthog stick base for a VIRPIL unit.
B) replacing plastic fantastic saitek pedals for glorious units of MFG design.

Not that I even remotely have the funds available to do either, but inquiring minds want to know :wink:

I guess you need a Virpil man to comment but as a stock TMWH and Crosswind man, I’d say you won’t regret getting Crosswinds - I’m sure Virpil base is great but diminishing returns come to mind whereas saitek → Crosswinds is night and day territory.

2 Likes

I have the Thrustmast Rudder Pedals. I have Zero Problem, there very sensitive able to crosswind landing No issues…

There a great technology

2 Likes

Crosswind pedals win by default, as you can actually put money down on a set right now, and -as of this writing- have them ship by the 28th of Jan.

Virpil asks you to sign up for a newsletter that tells you and the other (apparently) millions of internet users they made more. Then they’ll only take your money if you can load their page within the 2 milliseconds both units they made last as in stock.

They do this because it’s apparently illegal for Russian manufacturers to take any form of currency for a ‘pre-order’ of a product. A fact I’ve gleaned solely by observing the business practices of Virpil and VKB.

Sorry, If it’s not obvious, I’m a bit salty here. Still, in all seriousness, Milan over at MFG has his ducks in a row with the ordering process, while the gimble guys don’t. Doesn’t mean Virpil makes a bad product, but you can’t win a fight you don’t show up to :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am use the new Thrustmaster TPR. These are smooth and like regular Flight Pedals. Easy to use the TPR calibration tool. Works with Helicopter and aircraft. I have not found and Sim Software it won’t work with. I would but it up with with of the top of the line ones. I have found No plastic parts.

any Question or picture let me know

Gary

1 Like

Yet, I have never had any problem ordering from either VPC or VKB.
The last grip I bought from VPC was out of stock. I signed up for the stock notification and received an email the next week, went back to the webshop and ordered.

I have :wink:
Look at the links at the back.

S/N 4380

secret handshake

1 Like

Well, Thrustmaster has concluded on my support request. I have to return the pedals, which is a bummer. I was hoping that they’ll just send me a new sensor, as changing them is just a matter of opening the controller box and unplug a contact. The sensor assembly itself is designed so it’s easy to swap positions, so removing that is a breeze.
Good thing I still have my trusty ol’ BRDs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t need to tell me twice! shameless self plug warning I wrote the review of them for SimHQ :slight_smile:

SN 003 resides in my simpit :wink:

3 Likes

They at least covering shipping? Also, any idea if they’re sending a new one back, or if you’ll get yours with repairs, or a refurb unit? I know logitech would sometimes swap out with refurbs. would be annoying if that’s the way they go here.

They say I will receive a prepaid shipment label, and that they will repair the unit. I’m not supposed to send cables or anything but the rudderpedal unit, as they will return the same one.
We’ll see how it all turns out in the end.

1 Like

There is. I feel that the pincher type centering mechanism is a missed opportunity. Making a scissor cam setup wouldn’t have been difficult, or needed a more complicated design. Fairly certain I can mod them, though.
That said, a center detent isn’t uncommon in real aircraft. The Dash 8 that I fly has a big clunk of center.
But in a fixed base simulator, you become more dependent of the tactile feedback from the controllers, so soft center cams are preferable.
There’s also a little bit of play in the ball link setup. However, the yaw sensor seems to pick up even the smallest movement.

1 Like

Status update.
Thrustmaster support sent me a packing label yesterday, and a number to call for pickup.
Turns out that that particular courier doesn’t do pickups in my part of the country. I would have to send the package, by regular mail, to their warehouse, where they would forward it to TM.
After going back and forth, one reply per 24h, minus weekends, for two weeks, I said screw this and called the webshop here in Norway, where I bought the pedals.
I should have done so right away, but I was hoping that TM would just send me a new sensor. Alas, that didn’t happen.
Anyway, the shop started their RMA protocol and sent me a packing label straight away. Since the pedals didn’t work correctly, from the start, I will get new pedals…
Not impressed with TM support.

6 Likes

Installed my BRD pedals again. Man, they are good!
I like the pendulum design of the TPR, but they are going to need some serious modifications to get the same great feeling of the BRDs…

3 Likes

This is what I expected from the begining !
Glad you sorted it out.

1 Like

Do you foresee modded TPR pedals being ultimately better than BRDs? Sort of like how, for a time, Uber II gimbaled Cougars were the apex of the HOTAS world.

These TPR feel like the real thing. I wish they had Force feed back. There very sensitive east to configure and adjust to your feel.

It depends… I think a couple of gas dampers and a scissor cam system would do wonders for the TPRs. But, they will never be as solid as the BRDs. The TPRs have some play, and there is some elasticity in the setup. The TPR has a lot going for them. I like the pendular design and the configurable toe brake angle.

I read a lot about the TPR being more like real pedals, and that’s a yes and no… First of all, not all aircraft have hanging pedals. The ones that do is usually designed so that the pedal angle remains constant, during the pendulum movement. The TPRs don’t.

But, hey… The TPRs are very good! Comparing mass produced pedals like the TPRs, to pedals made by a uncompromising enthusiast, like Baurs BRDs, isn’t fair.

I wonder when VPC are going to start producing pedals, since Baur is working with them…?

1 Like