Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

They at least covering shipping? Also, any idea if they’re sending a new one back, or if you’ll get yours with repairs, or a refurb unit? I know logitech would sometimes swap out with refurbs. would be annoying if that’s the way they go here.

They say I will receive a prepaid shipment label, and that they will repair the unit. I’m not supposed to send cables or anything but the rudderpedal unit, as they will return the same one.
We’ll see how it all turns out in the end.

Thats a PITA Troll, sorry man, at least you will get it sorted and not be out of pocket in any way.

Anyway, my TM TPR arrived yesterday from Amazons place in Germany to UK, ahead of time and I was out when they tried to deliver, but know the local courier well and they successfully delivered again in the afternoon.

First thing I did after unpacking and before I even assembled the foot pedals as instructed was to plug it in and pray I never got a defective one like like Troll unfortunately did … all good, mine works fine once calibrated.

Been playing about with it all day in a few sims, finding the right spot to anchor it with velcro on my wooden floor, it has rubber pad feet … but even with the units weight (a fair weight) and stock spring settings it would still move when I got excited in combat :slight_smile:

Stock settings so far for everything … slightly disappointed there is a noticeable center detent … the Crosswinds dont have this, just a smooth cam you can change if you dont like it …its not as noticeable as Saitek rudder pedals … that detent has to be removed on them for DCS Copter flying IMHO … but I’ll look again at what is causing that slight felt detent on these new TM pedals, hopefully it can me physically modded out.

Stock spring settings so far for yaw axis, need more tension I’m sure for my style … Human Beings legs are much stronger than our arms, will try strongest tension soon, perhaps even stronger springs if need be for the yaw axis.

Pedal travel and tension is fine with me, works well in all I’ve tried it with but … and again and … IMHO the whole pedal part is perhaps an inch or two to high up, with these type of pedals and with my Saitek Combat (F-16 look a like pedals) I like to keep my heels on the deck, then push with ball of my feet on the bar left and right, then its quite easy to use my toes to depress the pedals for the brakes … left and right … I actually do this bare foot, always have, we use bare hands on our HOTAS dont we, so yes, this gives us a little more tactile feedback than you get in real aircraft … especially combat aircraft wearing boots and gloves, a sort of compensation for flying in earthbound sims I’ve found works for me, especially for Rudders.

I’m going to need to lower the unit somehow to be comfortable with my body and leg lengths somehow, or perhaps put some wooden planks or something over the units base to get the actual individual pedals at right height for me … and that would have my knees raised higher than they are just now for my seating arrangement, have a bad back and its taken me years to find the right position for lengthy flight sim sessions … I’ll see what can be done though … am warming to these pedals after a good days use, glad I have the Crosswinds to fall back on too.

Going to need to adjust the pedal position to slightly lower back than suggested in manual and reviews I’ve read … if I can start feeling really comfortable in how my legs, feet and indeed whole body fits with these pedals … then they will be keepers.

Glad I bought them so far, fun stuff I’ve enjoyed using all day in different sims.

Will post pics n stuff soon, these are just my initial thoughts.

There is. I feel that the pincher type centering mechanism is a missed opportunity. Making a scissor cam setup wouldn’t have been difficult, or needed a more complicated design. Fairly certain I can mod them, though.
That said, a center detent isn’t uncommon in real aircraft. The Dash 8 that I fly has a big clunk of center.
But in a fixed base simulator, you become more dependent of the tactile feedback from the controllers, so soft center cams are preferable.
There’s also a little bit of play in the ball link setup. However, the yaw sensor seems to pick up even the smallest movement.

Status update.
Thrustmaster support sent me a packing label yesterday, and a number to call for pickup.
Turns out that that particular courier doesn’t do pickups in my part of the country. I would have to send the package, by regular mail, to their warehouse, where they would forward it to TM.
After going back and forth, one reply per 24h, minus weekends, for two weeks, I said screw this and called the webshop here in Norway, where I bought the pedals.
I should have done so right away, but I was hoping that TM would just send me a new sensor. Alas, that didn’t happen.
Anyway, the shop started their RMA protocol and sent me a packing label straight away. Since the pedals didn’t work correctly, from the start, I will get new pedals…
Not impressed with TM support.

Installed my BRD pedals again. Man, they are good!
I like the pendulum design of the TPR, but they are going to need some serious modifications to get the same great feeling of the BRDs…

This is what I expected from the begining !
Glad you sorted it out.

Do you foresee modded TPR pedals being ultimately better than BRDs? Sort of like how, for a time, Uber II gimbaled Cougars were the apex of the HOTAS world.

These TPR feel like the real thing. I wish they had Force feed back. There very sensitive east to configure and adjust to your feel.

It depends… I think a couple of gas dampers and a scissor cam system would do wonders for the TPRs. But, they will never be as solid as the BRDs. The TPRs have some play, and there is some elasticity in the setup. The TPR has a lot going for them. I like the pendular design and the configurable toe brake angle.

I read a lot about the TPR being more like real pedals, and that’s a yes and no… First of all, not all aircraft have hanging pedals. The ones that do is usually designed so that the pedal angle remains constant, during the pendulum movement. The TPRs don’t.

But, hey… The TPRs are very good! Comparing mass produced pedals like the TPRs, to pedals made by a uncompromising enthusiast, like Baurs BRDs, isn’t fair.

I wonder when VPC are going to start producing pedals, since Baur is working with them…?

How do you like them in comparison to your Crosswinds?

Who, me? I’ve never tried the Crosswinds.

My bad. It was B12 that had both.

Update on my TPRs.
I returned the pedals to the shop that sold them. The postal service used an entire week to do a two day job, but I can’t blame them for the winter, I guess…
Anyway, once the shop got the pedals, they had tested them and concluded on the issue within 24 hrs. They are sending out new pedals today.

Good service of the shop, bad service from Thrustmaster unfortunately.

These pedals looks interesting but me personally am not quite sold on them yet.

Me neither… They are good, no doubt about it. But I need more time with them. And for that price tag, I’m leaning towards the BRDs, as of now.

But I have some ideas on how to improve them :wink:

Haha no doubt you have! I am sort of waiting on Thrustmaster to get the hint on cam systems and how we all want that by default!

Cams have been a thing in pedals for over 5 years now. TM had plenty of time to incorporate, and chose not to. Someone over there in product development and/or market research needs to be fired, because they seem to have engineered a different approach, that costs as much, but (based on feedback above) doesn’t quite work as well.

To me, where things get really unforgivable, is when you figure if you’re as established as Thrustmaster, and a guy working out of a furniture shop in Croatia (MFG pedals) can out design, out engineer, out build, and (based on serial number counts above) likely out sell you with an inherently simpler design that still performs better, someone somewhere took your company down the wrong path.

Thrustmaster haven’t been ahead of the game for many years. This decline didn’t start with the TPRs.
They have always been about looks.
My first was the F-22 Pro. Looked great. Stiff springs, but spikey pots. 3rd party digital chips made the F-22 much better.
The Cougar. Awesome metal stick. Same gimbal as the F-22. Made better by 3rd party gimbals, Hall sensors and the Foxy programming software. The TQS was nice, but needed a Hall sensor and modifications to the speedbrake switch.
The Warthog. Again with a cool metal handle, but this time with a very cool twin throttle and hall sensors.
Well, the plastic gimbal is crap, needing greasing and breaking easily.
The TM advantage is that they look like the real thing, more or less. And they have been the best there was, for a long time, provided you upgraded them…
The TPRs seems to be following that trend.