Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Made an effort to mount the dampers, today.
I just couldn’t find a good way to mount them… Need to dwell on this for a while.

But instead I turned my attention towards the rather weak spring resistance of the toe brakes.

I made an arm and an attachment point and put another spring on there.
Seems to work well enough.

3 Likes

I like them.
I wish they had a bit more centering force, or a damper. Trying to do something about that… :wink:
But the way they are designed, with pendulum pedals, gravity sort of helps with this.

1 Like

So… I cheated…
I wanted to use two smaller, opposing dampers but couldn’t find a reasonable way of attaching them to the TPR frame.
I remember seeing a thread about using a MC steering damper, in a thread over at the ED forums.
Both Slaw and BRD uses these dampers in their pedals, as an option. So, as I already had such a damper, I went with the easy solution. I made a minor adjustment and mounted the damper in a more upright position.

I wanted it done. After all, as they say here in the North… ”Winter is coming” and my garage isn’t heated.

It turned out very well!
The pedal has got that tight and heavy feel to them, now.

Had to make a bracket and an attachment point.
This solution requires minimal alterations to the basic design.

11 Likes

Joined the TPR club today and did my first taxi, crosswind takeoff and flight (got shot down by a MiG-29 later on so no landing yet) - these are really nice. Different to get used too, but so far much better feeling on all three axis than the Saitek ProFlight pedals I came from.

6 Likes

My Simpeds are getting a bit wobbly and worn, so starting to look at a new set of rudders.
The TPRs looks to be a prime candidate, just wanted to hear if any problems have surfaced for those who have had them for a while?
Are they worth it over the Crosswinds? Seems like the parrallel pedal travel is a plus for the TPR?
I already use a steering damper on the Simpeds, so will probably mod them right away, if I end up buying them.

1 Like

My TPRs arrived with a faulty toebrake sensor, but I’ve had no problems since I got a replacement.

2 Likes

TPR it is then! Just ordered a set.
Yeah, the price is kind of steep, but if they hold up as well as my old Simpeds, it’s really not too bad.
I’ve used those for almost 15 years, wow, time flies when you’re having fun :flushed:

1 Like

Just started researching rudder pedals today. Mainly for uh1 and f18. Any updates on the earlier comments?

Still in love with my set.
There is a bit of a manufacturing difference in the left and right toe brakes in terms of fit & finish, but I haven’t found that translate to any functional difference. Ie, when releasing the right toe brake from 100% depressed there is a very light audible metallic click that does not occur with the left side.

The TPR is very heavy but will still require some securing to the floor in some way, shape or form.
I pushed mine against the baseboard with some offcut 2x4 board in between, one with a slot to go over the baseboard’s quarter round. Even still, while they cannot push away from me they can rotate so a bit more securing would help when getting in to the end of travel where the springs provide the most resistance.

Prior to these I had Saitek ProFlights and while they did work OK, the TPR’s made the difference for me with WWII aircraft and Helicopter flying, which I am starting to learn.

As for the Hornet, you will only need them when taxiing as in air the rudders are covered by the FCS allowing almost no user input. So I can really finesse those on-deck taxi turns at NWS HI though!

I will also add that since I am in Canada, importing the other European options is beyond prohibitively expensive even with the TPR’s high price. So I cannot give you comparison to those options, since I saw you are shopping around.

3 Likes

Found this used rudder set on a Dutch forum for a good price.

11 Likes

Mooie vondst kerel! Nice find dude!

1 Like

I have been checking forums and marketplaces daily for years to find gems like this (and the Buttkicker Gamer II I bought a few years ago).

1 Like