Tropical Storm / Hurricane Florence / update Michael

Surprised our power is still on. We are on the windward side of a north facing ridge and the gusts are coming pretty steadily now. Already working our way through the tequila supply…

6 Likes

https://imgur.com/gallery/MvmVqvR

4 Likes

I never watch the Weather Channel. I have a visceral dislike for them starting however many years back when they started doing info-tainment and things like naming every low pressure winter storm that rolls across the continent.

4 Likes

That made me laugh so hard…Canoe lady is in the comments as well, an all timer…

1 Like

Still have power in North Raleigh! Hope it lasts

1 Like

Made it through the night with power…yay! The real bands holding the residual winds are only just now touching Charlotte though (and I’m 25 miles west of that), so today and tonight will tell the story of our experience. From what I’m reading, we can expect up to 10" of rain. That blocking ridge definitely saved central and western NC some hassle at the expense of eastern NC. Hope you are still afloat over there in RDU guys!

That east side convection is going to just keep dumping and dumping on the state though…wow…

1 Like

Ooooh… @BeachAV8R knows nautical lingo!

Avast and argh! That might work but me thinks the companion way may be a bit tight in the beam. Lashing it to the amidships hatch with sail ties might work…but need to be wary least a Nor’Ester blow in and send it to Davy Jones’ Locker…aargh.

1 Like

There is more…he is wearing loosely fit cloths ands hs hood up to funnel the wind…what wind there is…into his jacket. That creates the illusion. However he made one critical mistake. Look at the grass behind him. It is blowing with the wind coming right to left. But the dude is supposedly leaning “into the wind”…he is leaning to his right (our left)…the same direction as the wind, If he was really fighting the wind, he would be leaning in the opposite direction.

On a weather note, look at how lovely this visualizes how storms pick up energy:

Sailors love alcohol. I knew I was with my people when I went sailing the first time. Haha…not actually.

I spent my entire youth on the Potomac River on the sailboat I saved up $400 to buy. I’m still amazed that I could be gone on the river for the entire day and my parents were never concerned…

My boat was a handmade Point Jude design that a family friend constructed in Maine. I wish I still had it. This is the modern equivalent. Mine was all wood and teak though (which was a hassle I have to admit)…

3 Likes

Not to suck the wind out of @BeachAV8R’s cool sailboat, but on the topic of hurricane survival …

https://www.instagram.com/p/BntW7_oFcn3/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=14v1tulk05g13

About the size of the Sonars that I learned to sail on. Great size for just getting out there and sailing. You must have had a blast.

Times were different then…kids enjoyed more freedom and less threats…back then, the number of waterborne child abductors was likely fairly low.…probably still is.

I would have gladly started out with a boat that size (in fact I can still take out a club Sonar whenever I like). However, my better half basically said, “We will get one boat to last us the rest of ur sailing life”. So the J36 it is.

So, being a sailor, you and maybe @Navynuke99 and any other Mudspikers in the area should drop in for a day of sailing…or maybe I could sail to meet up with you all…although getting to @Troll’s neck of the woods may prove a bit difficult…my insurance stops at 75 Nm from the shore.

A little late in the season now…something to work on for next year. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

This is one of the most Florida things I’ve seen today.

And now I’m wondering how many Marines out at Lejeune are trying the same thing…

It’s been probably over a decade since I last sailed, and I’ll be lucky to remember the difference between a jib and a jibe, but I’m down.

Can you work a blender? That’ll do. I’ll cut up the cheese and crackers, you run the blender, and we’ll let @Hangar200 sail us around. :smiley:

1 Like

For hurricane party fun (we commenced drinking at noon today by mutual agreement) now that the rain is settling in and we have four kids we need to wear out…I went ahead and bought Beat Saber. Money well spent. By Monday I expect to be as good as this guy (cough)…

1 Like

…and the heavy rain is back. Time to get back into the hurricane libations.

Fingers crossed for Duke Energy and Time Warner Cable. Ohio State plays tonight!

2 Likes

Flying over yesterday. Pretty smooth. The layering of clouds and the clarity of the air in the clear were mesmerizing. We brought a flight attendant up to see the resulting surreal sunset. She was unimpressed. That’s ok. Pilots have a talent for being impressed with ourselves in the face of indifference!

7 Likes

About the weather channel clip posted above. When my FO showed me that yesterday, yes I laughed but also I felt sad for the guy. He, like his colleagues is a total weather ■■■■■ (hore). He got singled out for doing the job he was pimped out to do—dramatize natural events. That network has had a tabloid history of making news where none exists. They invent stupid words like “snowicane”. They give names to sleepy weather events so that the intellectualy challenged will stay glued to the set to learn the latest about morning mist “Ethyl”. All my life I have watched pilots who couldn’t seem to get enough and I never understood the appeal.

Rant over.