Varjo Aero VR headset

It’s €1500 excl. tax right now though.
I understand it isn’t for everybody, but I promised @Snowy55 to keep an eye out for sales…

4 Likes

That would be 1,800 minimum and the customs charges can be horrendous as I recently found out. So just saying it’s still an expensive headset and you need to really want one to shell out at this stage.

I bought some bits for my new bike from the USA and didn’t cost a penny in customs and I didn’t pay VAT, either - shock! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I doubt anyone disagrees! :grin:
Which is why getting it on a deal is even more important. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks Troll!

1 Like

I’m reviewing my options and will place an order in the next day or so. The all important support of such a significant purchase by my lovely wife is almost there. She wants me to give it 48 hours so I can be sure it is the right choice for me. Hard to argue with that. Thanks again @Troll for the heads up as I might have missed this.

2 Likes

Varjo has a 14 day return policy for unused headsets.
When I received mine I tried it on and found the fit less than stellar, to put it mildly.
I immediately contacted Varjo to hear if they would accept the return, since I had unpacked it. Their support answered that they would accept the return as long as I hadn’t used it as a hammer and that I was allowed to turn it on and test it. :slight_smile:
Now, the return policy is for unused items, so YMMV…

2 Likes

I pulled the trigger on a barely used Varjo Aero headset, two base stations and two index controllers a few weeks back now. Price wise it’s probably been closer to the 25% off than I would like to admit :slight_smile: While vacationing keeps me busy otherwise, I enjoy it quite a lot when I spend time with it. Need to figure out how to run arma 3 for helicoptering in VR with it :slight_smile:

I’m pretty much a VR newbie and I was a bit surprised (not really) to find the many adjustments one can and probably needs to make, probably for any headset. My current take-away is that while SteamVR works with the Varjo Aero, there’s an OpenXR implementation available (from Varjo I take) that gives better performance. Google and this thread is a massive help to figure this stuff out!

7 Likes

What a great headset with which to start your VR journey! Congratulations on that find @TeTeT
I’ve gone from a PSVR to a Valve Index, Reverb G2 which died after a year, back to the Index and will be placing an order for Varjo Aero tomorrow.

4 Likes

Those waiting for the Valve Deckard to be announced can thank me tomorrow when that happens, as I have place my order with Varjo. :wink:

5 Likes

I received my Aero today and have got it working in basic fashion with IL-2, DCS, CLoD VR beta and MSFS 2020 after a couple of hours. Probably the quickest and least frustrating set up I have experienced to date.

IL-2 was easy to get going and is a noticeable improvement over the Index and G2 but not ground breaking to be honest. Presumably this is to do with the sim graphics more than the headset. It is certainly clearer. The annoying shimmering (camo tents and buildings for example) is virtually gone which is very welcome.

Cliffs in VR was also easy to get started in VR and is a real improvement so I’m even more looking forward to its official release. Haven’t spent long in it this evening but look forward to testing it some more.

MSFS 2020 works but I really need to tweek it a fair bit by the look of it. Not a big priority at the moment so that can wait.

I struggled with DCS for a time until I removed the ‘force steam VR’ suffix. Having done that it looks fantastic and I will enjoy tweeking it for even better performance. This improvement is the biggest win for me and the most welcome.

The headset is reasonably comfortable but not as easy to put on or off as the Index. It is also another step to put on a pair of headphones. I use a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P3s with a Modmic attached and these fit quite well once on. I just have to get into the habit of removing them first at the end of a session.

Early days but I am very pleased. A very big step up in visuals for sure.

9 Likes

Awesome.

Have you tried the foveated, dynamic, thing yet? In DCS anyway. As mentioned here:

Curious about other opinions on the performance improvement using that feature.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Not yet jross but will look into that this week. Thanks for the heads up.

I’ve set up mbucchia’s Varjo Foveated as per his instructions. Tested DCS and used CapFrameX which reports 100% smooth with average FPS of 75. I have an RTX 4080. I am very happy with that sort of performance.

5 Likes

So, Varjo just cut the price of the Aero in half…
New price is €990.

I hope this doesn’t mean they are selling out stock and getting out of the consumer market…

3 Likes

Quick question for those of you who have this….I’m seriously thinking of getting one…have it loaded up in my cart and just have to hit Purchase

I’m currently using a 4 yr old Pimax 8kx which I’ve been very happy with….It doesn’t have nearly the clarity/resolution of the Varro but it does have a Awesome FOV….Im using the medium settings which is 130 degrees horizontal I believe…but it does have some distortion on the edges…
Do you think I would miss the extra 15 degrees FOV?? Or would the clarity make up for it??
Thank you for any input/feedback

I have never tried wide FoV headsets like the Pimax so I don’t know. But I guess it depends on the user. But I have heard one argument that because of the “edge to edge” clarity of the lenses, the Aero has a wider “clear area”, but it lacks the peripheral view.
I’d be interested to hear your views on this, should you go ahead and buy the Aero.
Have you considered the Pimax Crystal?

1 Like

Thanks for your response…I was looking at the Crystal but I think the FOV tops out at 120…and the price is pretty steep…I actually am more interested in The Somnium Space VR1 headset that is in development and should have a clearer roadmap later this month…but I think that will be in the 2k range and go through some growth pains….The Varjo at under 1k just seems like too good of a deal to pass on

1 Like

Maybe a new model is coming out in a month, as it’s common to clear stock before that too?

4 Likes

That was my first thought.

So, say I was to git it (Varjo Arrow). To confirm the extras I must have (that I don’t now)

1. Base station. On their site (accessories) for $270 (seems high but I’d assume it would be plug-and-play coming from them.
  2. [Better] Headset with Mic (I have one but it’s junk)

There’s face plates and such there too but I assume it actually comes with them - I don’t require any other parts.

Do I need the “VR Adapter”? My biggest wonder.

Thanks