Virpil, VKB, Thrustmaster, Oh My!

You can gain an extra inch or so by mounting the plate to the underside of the MonsterTech mount. I have had mine set up this way since I got it. Obviously, it isn’t going to be quite as strong, but it still feels solidly secured and I have had no problems two years on.

2 Likes

You (or someone else) may have brought this up but, well, I’ve slept since then: centering on the stick - is it ‘soft’ or ‘hard’. Is that configurable?

I’ve no clue what any real pointy-nose jets feel like (my 10 mins in the Viper don’t count as it’s one -off thing) but I’ve grown used to the definitive centering position with my unit :thinking:

Well the centering on the Mongoose is hard, but with a nice controllable center.

The Saitek I previously had had a very sharp center, like a divot you had to overcome.

I guess the pointy nose question would depend on which pointy nose you were referring to.

All I ever flew in that department were hyd boosted controls with some Stab Aug and some artificial feel. Those felt soft centered to me. Not sloppy, but with a flat curve from the center, allowing for pretty light deflection.

Electric jets? I have no idea except for the Airbus which honestly feels about the same to me although I guess I’m saying that the Bus felt light whereas a 73 definitely required a bit of muscling.

Hence…

2 Likes

Perfect description. Mucho Gracias.

1 Like

I may have dropped off here, but are you talking about the same base?
@Deacon211, you got the WarBRD base, right? The ’Mongoose’ is the MT-50CM2 base, which has a totally different gimbal.
The WarBRD has got the scissor cams solution, and comes with ’soft center’ cams installed, and the ’no center’ cams as an option. You can also buy ’cosmo sim’ cams, but I have never tried those. The WarBRD has a very smooth center transition point, even with the soft center cams, which allows you to feel the center position. The no center cams removes this center feel completely. The cams then increase the centering force, the further you move the stick from center.

The MT-50CM2, or the ’Mongoose’ base has a different approach to the gimbal design with swappable cams and springs that can be pre-tensioned. The cams are also in soft or no center version. If you use the soft center cams and hard springs, with a good dose of pre tension, the center feel and force becomes really hard. But you can also use no center cams, light springs with very little pre-tension.

If you get one of these controllers, you really owe it to yourself to try out the different options of cams and springs. They can really be anything you want…

6 Likes

You can even have different settings on pitch and roll. That’s truly neat if you ask me.

6 Likes

I love my Virpel CM2 base and CM2 stick

2 Likes

Sorry, I am probably massively mixing my apples and my oranges with my nomenclature.

I have the MongoosT-50CM2 grip with the WarBRD base and the MongoosT-50CM3 throttle.

The hard/soft centering comment is purely my impression comparing it to my previous X-52 stick and flying this plane or that over the years.

So I apologize if I’m muddying the waters by saying what might be a hard center feels soft…it’s purely my interpretation. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Turned a tidy profit on a job and order me the grip. Looking forward to rejiggering the pit to get it all to fit.

6 Likes

In your defense, Virpil puts out new products all the time and most of them are called MT-50 something :rofl:

Didn’t mean that as criticism. Just trying to point out that the centering forces can be configured to be almost nothing to very firm.

2 Likes

No, no, I appreciate all the input!

I just don’t want to spread bad gouge by mixing up my parts.

I’d rather get the descriptions correct to smooth the process for anyone else who might be in the market. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Just picked up my Virpil T-50CM2 grip. Put it on, had some doing getting the buttons to register, but here they are. Wow that’s a lot of buttons! yay :smiley:

It’s tiny. I somehow expected it to be bigger than the Thrustmaster warthog grip, but it feels a lot smaller in my hand. Light too. But I like the feel of the buttons, the analogue brake handle and that neat assembly around the trigger.

… And now the lengthy task of getting all of those sweet, sweet buttons assigned in all of the modules I have. And Il2. And MSFS.

4 Likes

I read someone on the Virpil forum saying the same thing…
I didn’t understand his point of view, at all.
Maybe I can understand yours?

The only measurment that is smaller on the MT-50 grip is the circumference. The Warthog is 123mm and the MT-50 is 118mm. So yeah, 5mm difference there. Otherwise, well…

The ergonomics of the top buttons are different. The angle makes the thumb rest more comfortably on the Warthog, but may feel a bit cramped on the MT-50.
Also, the trigger sits longer forward in the Warthog, so the trigger finger points outwards. Is that it?

4 Likes

I think you hit the nail on the head with the circumference. That must be it. I haven’t actually flown it yet though.

Flew around a bit with it (killed two bogeys in the MiG-15). Oh yeah, that’s an improvement. My hand will need to get used to it, but it feels more subtle, more like a precision instrument than the blunt weapon that is the hog stick. The fact that it doesn’t have the (very slight bit of) play that my hog grip had helps a lot. I can see how playing the piccolo (complex HOTAS interactions) is going to be much better on this.

I’m not selling the hog stick just yet. It might be the size of my hands just precludes me from getting truly comfortable with the T-50. Be sad tho.

2 Likes

From Virpil’s Facebook page

Hello VIRPILs!

As is always the case, we have been hard at work on many different projects behind the scenes. An important facet of that work has been focused on our dedicated production factory in Belarus.

For those who are new to VIRPIL Controls; we operate our own local production factory to manufacture, hand assemble and test VIRPIL Controls devices prior to dispatch through our distribution center.

Due to the continued high demand for VPC products, ramping up our production capacity to minimise order lead times has been an important task. We’re pleased to confirm that recent orders are now being processed and dispatched in just 1-2 weeks and this month should see items moving from “back-order” to “in-stock” on our worldwide webstore!

Ramping up our production capacity has not come at the expense of care or quality in our products. We continue to control the vast majority of the manufacturing process inside our own factory with devices being produced and hand-assembled by highly trained and now highly experienced production teams.

Manufacturing technologies at our factory have also continued to develop to assist production. Including the installation of additional high-end CNC machines and our new pick-and-place machines to achieve ultra high quality and highly efficient PCB production!

The VIRPIL Controls Team is incredibly excited for what the future brings and we’re always excited to share progress and news with the community. As we often say, we want to bring real happiness to the virtual skies and with the continued support and feedback from the community we can continue to innovate and develop the most comprehensive and versatile lineup for sim fans around the world!

Happy Flying!

VIRPIL Controls Team

10 Likes

HAAS machines, nice. :sunglasses:
There was a time, not all that long ago really, when I could have walked up to one of those machines and programmed it to run…

Wheels

3 Likes

I think that I remember seeing those at the GLOCK factory in Smyrna, GA.

1 Like

I would like to know where is the F-16 HOTAS from one of these guys… :wink: My old Cougar is old. parts are scarce too.

4 Likes

16 posts were split to a new topic: Virpil CM2 Grip problem with extension

VPC Hawk 60 Collective grip available for pre-order. It’s based on the UH-60 Blackhawk’s collective.

17 Likes