VR News: HP Reverb - Second Gen headsets are on the way

I think you could mod this sucker real good, especially with access to a 3D printer. :printer:

2 Likes

I should say, the only thing I did add was the overhead strap, as I had it for the O+ anyway. I prefer it as it feels more hat like, and the weight is taken over the top more rather than pressure on the sides.

Itā€™s just a bit of material with some velcro.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just had somewhat of an epiphany with regards to my Reverb and VR in general. Well, more like a slap to the forehead. You see, I had Lasik back in 2004 and went from like 20/200 to 20/20. Gave the nurse a big old hug, because even with antiseptic goop in my eyes, I could tell that I could f-ing see really well and that the contacts were going right in the round file as soon as I got home. No more contacts while swimming or skydiving, where they blew out more than once. Try judging your landing while squinting like you have sand in your eyes. And yes I wear goggles you duffus.

Lasik worked pretty damn well until a couple of years ago when age caught up to me and I began wearing readers. To read. Not too bad really, my distant vision was/is still pretty good. At the end of this year, my wife began negging me, as all good wives will, to have an eye appointment. I hadnā€™t had one in probably 10 years. Turns out they said that while my distance vision wasnā€™t bad, they could set me up with some transition lens that would get me back a little bit on the top end, as well as let me read my phone and the dashboard in my car. OK, insurance was picking up a good chunk of the bill. Ordered them, picked them up, and yes, for driving they are perfect. A bit sharper at long range, I still donā€™t wear them much other than driving. Would probably work great for flying, but I would need sunglasses made. In the short term sticking to sunglasses with readers in the bottom of the lenses.

Anyway, the Transitions are made by Flexon and they are just light and small enough to squeeze into my Reverb. Curiosity finally got the best of me and Iā€™ll be damned! Distance vision and sharpness is much improved.

I would like to categorically withdraw my previous comment to the effect that ā€œthey all suckā€. Admittedly, Iā€™ve been missing a bit of distance clarity due to my pigheaded nature. Had I kept on, my eyes would have probably deteriorated at about the same rate that VR technology improves, and I would be the old curmudgeon forever lambasting the industry because of my ignorance. Anyway, Iā€™ve ordered up some of those fancy VR Optician lens adapters. Hoping for an improved experience.

9 Likes

Itā€™s a pretty remarkable difference. I thought it was a pretty big step up in clarity coming from an Index let alone a CV1. Glad you are enjoying the set so far.

4 Likes

Is there any magic sauce to get the 3.5mm jack to work on the headset? I connect to it but I apparently can not figure out which audio device relates to that port? It may just be me.

I think when I tried it out I didnā€™t change the audio device, in that it uses the same USB name that makes the overear ones do to work. Maybe click that sucker right in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah. I have tried 3 different headphones attached to that port and I get no sound. I had removed the attached ear pieces but I put them back on to see what happened. With them on, the headset gets audio (though a RealTek USB 2.0 audio device) but nothing plugged into the port ā€˜overridesā€™ those attached ear pieces. Hmm.

I thought that was a straw. I have the other end plugged into a beerā€¦

2 Likes

Let me try plugging some in, with the inbuilts still attached. 2 secs

So yep, I just plug in some HyperXā€™s (keeping always to device 'Realtek USB 2.0 Audio) into the wee headphone cable socket on the HMD and the sounds comes through ok, taking it out restores to the inbuilt ear arms.

You might have to RMA @Fridge :expressionless:

1 Like

Recently pulled the trigger and just got my Reverb. Coming from the Rift S. Have taken it around the patch a few times and I was all smiles. :grin:

Can yā€™all share any WMR settings to optimize performance and clarity? Also in the video settings, is auto preferred or custom set to 150%? Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

I have Resolution Per Eye set to 100% 2204 x 2160ā€¦not sure if I should be doing more than thatā€¦but it looks darn good.

3 Likes

Same for me. I have not seen much difference with supersampling.

2 Likes

Damn!
Another nail in my Rift S coffinā€¦

You would think that if it were more effective to have it enabled, that it would be so as the default configuration. I used to enable it and the indicator, but lately have been rolling without SS.

1 Like

Same hereā€¦however, Iā€™m a fan of the Rift-Sā€™s internal position sensing system.

1 Like

Yeah, the Rift S is a great piece of kit! No doubt about it. A little wider FoV and higher res, and Iā€™d be set.

Me too. I enjoy my Rift S and donā€™t regret buying it, but it feels, like,ā€¦almost there.

The Rift S is a great buy- price/performance. I had it dialed in to what I thought was a great setup. But I was just looking to take that next step in clarity. Not being able to clearly spot ground targets with the Rift S until 5 or 6,000 AGL was bugging me. By then, I was getting lit up by AAA. During my initial ground strikes with the Reverb, I was seeing them easily at 10,000 AGL.

I would prefer a wider FOV over clarity. The Pimax seems to be the only current VR option with wide FOV, but the price is just not viable. Itā€™s just a matter of time until tech improves and the prices drop.

1 Like

True. But we live todayā€¦ :wink: