VR News

What would that be…? :wink:

Looks like you’re right.

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately so.
I got to try out a GO the other day, and wow, the lenses and screens in that thing seemed to be a lot better than Rift CV1. And the Quest should be even better I think.
Really looking forward to that Rift 2 now!

1 Like

I want to see the first modded Quest with dual 2080Tis strapped to the sides and a big fan blowing from the top…

2 Likes

I’ve found a prototype apparatus for liquid cooling

5 Likes

With enough cooling, it will probably appear that FPS goes up… I approve.

A post was split to a new topic: Pimax 5k+ and 8k VR

My take: I think there will be a PC VR Rift 2, just that internally they aren’t all on the same hymn sheet on when that should be. Business-wise it makes sense to do stand-alone VR, and some of the original Oculus founders will find that hard to adjust to.

There will always be PC VR, it’s just a $3000 PC to drive it means it can’t be mass market. The R&D will happen on PC headsets, and a lot of advancement will happen there first, but it might not be the bulk of the market.

Just like Volkswagon still have ‘Porsche’, Oculus will have a Rift 2 at some point, it just won’t be marketed or sell as much as a Jetta.

3 Likes

“Iribe wasn’t interested in a “race to the bottom” in terms of performance, we are told.”

Facebook. Ugh. There will be a bunch of avatars in VR complaining about restaurants and flipping each other in VR over political views. Super.

I get that we aren’t money makers…so I understand that. I hope a lot of the deeply talented in that realm still want to go for performance and pushing the technology forward rather than just going for maximum profit.

Yeah, that’s an interesting quote (if it is true, TechCrunch isn’t a great source lol) in that it can be taken both ways, as in ‘I am leaving because I disagree with the short-term strategy of price cutting and minor hardware refreshes too soon’ (which means we have a ‘Pimax crusher’ sooner rather than later) or as in ‘I am leaving because you are rushing this amazing new PC headset I had planned, and I think it is worth waiting’ (which means he wanted CV2 to have all the new tech and it is not ready).

My guess is that he wanted to do a ‘Rift Pro’ version as an interim before CV2 high price point i.e. $999 proper in 2021 ish, and Facebook squashed that as confusing the potential Facebook ‘Quest’ VR launch next Spring. Dunno.

1 Like

Yeah…the “we are told” part of that quote gives me pause. Who knows if he actually said any of that.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we find out Facebook wants to pour all of their efforts to getting people “unconnected” physically and “connected” socially with VR. This kind of turmoil can only be good for HTC and Pimax.

I don’t have a lot of brand loyalty. Whoever comes out with better and faster (regardless of price) will get my order.

2 Likes

Yep! Same here!

Same here to a point. I am conservative by nature in every regard but politics. I will not jump ship to get a 10% gain in pixel density while forced read a pdf manual written in ESL that I downloaded from Dropbox. But if the competition posts a substantial leap in performance and doesn’t require me to edit my registry to make it work with all of my stuff, then yeah, Zuck and the rest can jump in a lake!

2 Likes

Same for me at the end of the day. I love my Rift, no question, but if another company manages to make a better package of resolution, optics, FOV, comfort, and drivers/operating system then I’ll be all over it. Right now, Oculus has IMHO the superior operating system/ drivers. It’s just rock solid and ASW is a huge deal (ASW2 will be amazing).

I’m still hoping that there will be a Rift 2 at some point.

1 Like

The Oculus dash is nice and generally more stable than the SteamVR betas. As for ASW, it’s actually probably in 3rd place now, as the new SteamVR ASW is very good and the WMR has always had good software for that. ASW2 will require some API changes to titles, so while it looks very good, it will be up to DCS, X-Plane etc to all code for it, which can take a while. For things like IL-2 that uses OpenVR only, it might never have ASW2.

The problem is, that after experiencing both Oculus VR and Open VR, the Oculus solution feels significantly better when using the Rift at least (and this is most definitely just a personal opinion).

The way Facebook is steering things right now, it could well be that I’ll have to jump ship for Gen 2 because Oculus might not be an option for PC gaming. Time will tell I guess.

Well, I agree with you, that’s because it is inefficient using OpenVR on the Rift. The OpenVR is a bunch of translated calls down to the Rift lower level frame compositor because Facebook would never open up their driver to allow another company to access low-level hardware. I wouldn’t be shocked if it was deliberately janky as well, in that what is Facebook’s motivation to make it better?

I don’t blame Facebook really, the headsets aren’t sold for a big profit, because the plan was we would all have to buy Oculus software from the Oculus store. The big appeal of the standalone VR is that they will have full control of the stack top/bottom while on the PC it’s hard to do that. They need a cut of the software sales, and with things like SteamVR about they can’t guarantee that.

I wish there was a CV2 coming soon, as I’m very happy with my Rift, but I don’t want to wait too long.

3 Likes

>me sitting here with my Vive

6 Likes

My question is, why do the stand alone sets need to be mutually exclusive to PC use? You have the screens and motion tracking built in, so why not put USB/AV plugs on the side and cater to both markets.

It’s a fair question and it got asked about the Oculus Quest at the recent dev conference. The answer was that the decoding hardware would add weight.

Personally I think it is more a business reason of pushing people to join your ecosystem, as buying the software from the device ‘app store’ is where the lost money on hardware is made up.

It doesn’t make sense to us simmers, but it is probably where they are coming from. The standalone VR’s can be thought of as ‘console’, of their own platform, and putting an AV on the side is about as likely as Nintendo allowing your phone or PC to screencast to their Switch - it ain’t happening.

That word…

Yeah…wasn’t it Steam that was giving away those Steam links for $4.99 the last couple years during their sales? Take a hit on the hardware, make it up on the software. So maybe Steam WILL eventually be the hardware driver with VR. Maybe I’m not visionary thinking enough that it seems like VR social doesn’t seem like it will last all that long moreso than VR gaming. Like I can’t envision people putting on a headset regularly to VR chat via some Facebook meeting room. Then again…if your avatar actually becomes you (like indistinguishable from the real you)…maybe there is something there…