VR News

So DCS Open Alpha users - how often are you getting crashes when using the Rift? I was flying a couple times tonight and after around 30 minutes or so, I just had a crash and some message about hardwear not detected. I think something is conflicting with DCS, but not sure what it is. I get the feeling something is butting heads with DCS and popping it out of the “sensor of interest” so to speak…LOL…

It’s 450 in Euros. Very tempting. The only thing holding me back is that I’m rather short sighted. Can you use it with glasses?

I think I saw a post here for a kickstarter addon to make the rift compatible with spectacles.

The default focus is from about 2 meters out, which suits me because I am far sighted and 2 meters is about where things begin to get sharp. It sounds like you might need some sort of correction, but would be better to hear from other near sighted users. How is your vision at 2 meters?

1 Like

Very bad. Got -6.75 / -3.5 on right/left eye which means I would not even know if there are letters on a wall 2 meters out…

Also, because of the difference my left eye is quite dominant. Not sure if this will influence the whole VR experience.

I’m nearsighted as well and have to use glasses.
If you get them small enough it’s not a problem to wear glasses inside the Rift, however it is a bit fiddly, and you have to be a bit carefull in order to not let the glasses and the Rift lenses contact eachother.
According to Oculus maximum size for glasses is: width 142 mm, height 50 mm.

That being said, after a month of wearing my glasses in VR, I ordered some 3D printed frames for the Rift, and a set of prescription glasses from Zennioptical, and it is way more comfortable! I’ll see if I can get some pics and a link up later on.

1 Like

Ok, got some info up about the 3D printed frames. Posted it in a topic about lensframes started by Brix, a while ago.
Link

1 Like

I went with the 3d printed frames and zenni lenses. Very happy with it, especially for the price (~$25).

1 Like

I have the VR Lens Lab lenses. They work well. I think a more rigid frame is the way to go though.

Ok. I was convinced and joined the rich boys toys club :smiley:

4 Likes

Hm? Maybe we should make a “Sale” member level to distinguish between “Full prizers” and the rest?
:wink:

1 Like

Rich? Well that’s rich!

2 Likes

The VR new comers think they have chops. That’s adorable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations! You are going to be blown away by the experience.

1 Like

Did it get there yet? Did it? Did it?

3 Likes

Well hopefully when it does arrive, @smokinhole won’t keep us waiting a week for his initial reaction… :wink:

And yes, that was aimed squarely at you Chris :slight_smile: .

1 Like

It’s on the FedEx truck! The usually don’t hit Teaneck until 1900 (boo, hiss). I am supposed to be heading to VT for an aerobatic contest but the weather keeps getting more questionable-er. Can you believe that I am actually hoping the thing scrubs so I can play with the Rift?!

1 Like

5 Likes

Now that’s just cruel! :wink:

1 Like

Bawhahahaha

1 Like

Well there goes my bonus…

1 Like