What we watching? – Mudspike at the movies

According to Jim

Started on December 04, 2022 and finished on January 31, 2023. I watched all 182 episodes of its 8 season run. The first 6 seasons were pretty good but imo seasons 7 and 8 tanked pretty hard. In Season 7 & 8 Courtney, Kimberly, & the three kids were hardly ever featured in an episode. The changes made due to that loss of so many cast members created a completely different dynamic that just made the series lose all of its charm.

Wheels

The Last of Us ep.3 is the best thing I’ve seen on TV (any screen actually) in a year. My wife laughed at me while I cried. Respect to Nick Offerman

7 Likes

Agree. I had to stop watching the episode recaps on YT, since the comparisons to the game’s storyline became tiresome. Each can stand in its own.

1 Like

Finally got a chance to watch this movie. LOL…I highly recommend it. Just go in with open eyes and mind. LOL!

2 Likes

It was funny and fun. The humble cheeseburger never looked so good.

1 Like

I just wished we could have seen Ellie and Bill at each other like in the game though but it was a great episode.

That the one with the giant ants in b&w? I remember there was a series of old horrors on when I was a young lad and that was amongst them and I absolutely loved it. However, when I had grown up (yes, I did!) and watched it I just couldn’t believe how crummy it was!

That’s been a running theme of late - keep telling the Mrs that we should watch this or that film because I’d liked it as kid or a young man and they turned out to be, well, a little disappointing to understate it a bit :slight_smile:

Last one was “Near Dark” which we actually paid to hire from Prime - something we normally never do (cos 90% of the time we feel we wasted our money).
I signed up to SkyQ Ultimate+ (+ sport for the F1, which also ain’t what it used to be) this year on an offer I’d found at The Guardian of only paying 2/3 the normal charge for 18 months. So far the only thing we have watched an liked is another from my adolescence - the “Wise Guy” series with Vinnie Terranova and the awesome McPike! Mind you, series 3 has been garbage so far.
Too many latest made-for-TV or made for streaming rubbish films, too, and no decent classics (the classics we found we wouldn’t call “classics” - just old films).

Pretty disappointed so far - though I’ve not yet taken up my free access to the Paramount+ service. Now we’re going to record the Dirty Harry series of films, though we’ve seen them loads of times, they are worth another look :wink:

btw the main complaint about newer stuff is squeaky clean sets and posh accents! I hate the amount of overly nasal chicks you get in films and TV these days - what’s wrong with the odd pleb? Or are only bad people plebs?

2 Likes

Yahay! We found a decent film this evening :slight_smile:
It is one we’ve seen before a year or two ago, but we’d been looking out for it to watch again, it’s “The Foreigner” from 2017. Really enjoyed that.

1 Like

Did someone already mention Bullet Train? Watched it over the weekend and loved it, despite the mediocre reviews. If you are not a Tarantino fan, best to move on.

6 Likes

My wife, who is Japanese, really enjoyed it.

3 Likes

Same here. It reminded me of a Tarantino / Guy Ritchie ‘mash up’. Simple premise that somehow works Spolier: Not really, the title gives it away, the entire movie is set on a Shinkansen, interesting characters, A list actors, great set-piece action scenes, enough exposition and ‘twists’ to move the story along and keep it entertaining depite it’s predictable end and most importantly, doesn’t take itself too seriously. Perfect ‘switch off brain and eat popcorn’ movie.

2 Likes

Meanwhile. I have just finished watching Hanna… the TV series, not the movie.

I started watching it when it first came out. The wife and I both liked the movie, but she got bored with it about halfway through Season 1 and I had better things to do with my time anyway… Saw the complete series DVD set on sale for $25 so bought that a while ago to watch at my leisure… glad I did.

2 Likes

My wife and I saw that movie a few weeks back and we both very much loved it. Just plain fun and loads of laughs.

2 Likes

My wife and I also enjoyed that one. It has its shortcomings but overall it is nicely done.

2 Likes

Drachinifel has now done a couple of videos about the USS North Carolina- wish I could’ve made it down there to join in, but he had some great tour guides who obviously took him around:

5 Likes

Not a movie but an old beer commercial from a bit back. Was brought to my attention from my brother and he had asked me if I had remembered it. I didn’t but will now. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Watching True Lies (again). Tom Arnold made that movie!-)

5 Likes

I agree. Which came as a complete shock that he could even act at all. Back then before the movie if I heard his name I would have only associated him as one of Rosanne Barr’s exes.

Wheels

1 Like

An impressive beast. I thouroughly enjoyed my visit.

1 Like

I missed this.
He commutes with us? And then to the US…?

1 Like