What we watching? – Mudspike at the movies

this ^^^

2 Likes

Thirded.

One thing that surprised me about Rome is that there are two different versions of the series. Having watched it on the BBC back in the late 90’s/early 00’s (or whenever it was) and then bought the DVD set for both series, I know it pretty well.

I was then shocked when I watched it on Prime - seemed like almost a different show. It was presented with characters as far more aggressive, either thoughtless or naturally nasty types. Most of the scenes that showed them in another light were removed, same with the more thought provoking scenes.

Had the original TV show been that way I wouldn’t have bought the disc set. Totally different mindset.

I haven’t rewatched since it aired on HBO originally. Were the reairs edited to be shorter?

1 Like

Maybe - the ones I saw were on *Prime, don’t know if it’s still there. This was a few years ago. From what I saw when watching some Ray Stevenson obituaries, there are 3 services that host the series at the moment.

*Edit - I got it wrong, it was Prime that I watched it on and it’s still there to view inclusive - in the UK, at least.

Also on YouTube, Google Play & Apple TV.

btw - I heard on the radio that they are apparently redoing the show with women playing lead roles instead of men.

I’m saying nothing…

1 Like

I enjoy Star Trek: Picard (I am a few episodes into season 3) so much (yes, even the parts that people seem to hate) that I bought the ST:TNG BluRay set out of nostalgia.

Man, that show is still SO good.

3 Likes

I didn’t watch the first three seasons of TNG during its network run, mainly because I KNEW it could not be real Star Trek without Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu, & Chekov, but I started watching TNG in the 4th season and was kicking myself for not watching sooner. I was really disappointed when it was cancelled after season 7. I am fairly certain the earlier episodes of TNG were already being shown in syndication by the time I started watching the first run episodes so I went back and watched the first three seasons to catch up.

About two years ago I watched all 7 seasons from start to finish, on Prime Video or IMDb TV which is now Freevee TV and are part of the Amazon Prime package, and enjoyed them just as much if not more than the first time I saw them.

Wheels

3 Likes

Like the TOS Blurays, the TNG Blurays were remastered and all the effects redone to a higher standard. Things like the crystalline entity look so much better than on the old DVDs. Enterprise was available on BD from an early point as it was done in HD to begin with.

Unfortunately, Voyager and DS9 are DVD res only and Paramount declined to upres them as the market collapsed shortly after the TNG remaster and they no longer felt it was going to be worth the expense. Of course, then came Paramount+ but they still seem to be happy leaving it 480p.

I bought TOS on DVD and then later BD, and I have Enterprise and TNG on BD and DS9 and Voyager on DVD. I will eventually get the newer shows when they release them in 4K. So far, only Strange New Worlds is coming out in 4k. Discovery and Picard are BD only.

1 Like

I would instantly buy those on Blu-ray. Sad that they aren’t getting remastered.

@wheelsup_cavu
Funny that you mention that part about “this cannot be real Star Trek”. I grew up with TNG, but I had the same thing with Enterprise. I think I watched one episode, because… I think I was angry that it changed the timeline. It just… I hate prequels.

So for me the ranking is
TNG
DS9
Voyager
TOS

I still haven’t watched anything after Voyager, except Picard and those reboot movies which where… kinda meh.

Not sure yet where to put Picard. I like it a lot but it cannot beat the classic shows.

2 Likes

The first 2 seasons of Picard are ok but they feel less like Star Trek and more another SF show set in that era.

Lower Decks is a blast! Before Picard S3 did it they were referencing every film and series from the get go and somehow they are able to take the ■■■■ out of it while at the same time honoring them and ST as a whole. It’s an amazing balancing act that I quite appreciate.

Discovery’s first season was forgettable, but the 2nd season introduced much of the cast of Strange New Worlds and was an improvement, and then the later seasons improved quite a bit. Like the early seasons of TNG or DS9 weren’t representative of where they ended up, same with Discovery.

As for SNW itself, that show was firing on all thrusters from the get go as Disc S2 set it up so there was no need to waste time. When they air next month I will watch them as they come out, just as I did for Picard S3 (which was so good I’m now annoyed it was the end).

3 Likes

Correct

4 Likes

ST:TNG Bluray remaster production cost still hasn’t been made up by sales.
Which Doomed any hope of DS9 or Voyager remasters.

The other issue is Source material.

TNG was Filmed Models on Film w/ Effects added in Post.
They Still had the original Reels to remaster the shots, and add content. (ie deleted Scenes).

All they had to remaster the Film, Import digitally, and compose the new effects.

DS9 and Voyager however were the start of Digital CGI,
There are no Film Reels of the External Shots, it was all 100% CGI rendered at NTSC 640x480i AVI

There are no Reels of the Master Cuts either, so each episode would not only require the external shots to be re-rendered, but filmed shots of the crew would have to be re-cut and re-edited w/ chroma key effects.

They only have Digital Master Cuts for each episode at 640x480i AVI.
There’s no way to cleanly upscale them,
They would all have to be re-rendered shot for shot, the issue is to re-render at 4K, you’d need to re-build all the models at a significantly higher level of detail they used in the 90s.
Voyager, Kazon, Borg, Undine, Caretaker, Shuttles, Delta Flyer, every single ship and external item.
And there was 12 versions of the original Voyager model built for the show (Default for all external pan shots, several damaged models (5 for year of hell alone), and then several variants for the episode where the doctors program was recovered 100s of years in the future).

While they likely have Voyager re-built, they don’t have anything else.

Not only that, most of the Crew Scenes were green screened, with rendered environments,
So they would also have to re-build the digital environments to compose those shots.

The amount of money it would cost to re-master Voyager or DS9 to 4K would far outweigh any return in revenue.

TNG Remaster cost around 75K per episode, and when you look at the box set cost, the consumer pays about a dollar per episode.

TNG has not even sold 20K copies. and no Revenue from Streaming or Broadcast Networks.

2 Likes

That is awesome, never knew that

I may not be opposed to a 4k re issue of 7 of 9 (you were thinking it too @komemiute, dont judge me for saying it out loud :rofl::rofl:)

5 Likes

I wouldnt judge anyone where 7 of 9 is concerned :rofl:

4 Likes

I was watching picard season 2 with the wife last week and she commented how hot she still was.

“Yes dear”

5 Likes

Thats my military headress. A Tam O’Shanter
https://images.app.goo.gl/3EgnQuzGWhba3ZxC9

2 Likes

But its always ok for her to say how hot Keanu or (my wifes fave at the moment) Luke Evans is :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Season 3 is where it’s at…

3 Likes

We have a scale johnny silverhands on my wall… he’s significantly larger and more detailed than my own tiny Lara Croft model, unsurprisingly i suppose

2 Likes

this is as close as you’ll get.

3 Likes