What we watching? – Mudspike at the movies

It is funny how I instantly jumped at the mere thought that they could remake the movie. :smiley:

The thing with remakes/reboots is: occasionally they are good, but often they aren’t.
True Grit (2010) was a good movie, it is possible to like both that one and the 1969 John Wayne version.
They have to be different but not too different. A very tough balance.

For every good remake there is at least one that is like the Total Recall from 2012…

1 Like

I soooo totally agree with you here.

That would be an interesting film. I read his autobiography, Baa, Baa Black Sheep. Its fairly brutally honest. The highlight of his life was with the Flying Tigers and his squadron time in the Pacific. His time in a POW camp was, as one wold expect, challenging. Other than that, it is the story of an alcoholic who’s life spirals down after his fame in WW II.

Yes, I think it should be made into a movie, but if they do it right, it will be more of a cautionary tale than a feel good story of triumph.

I put Boyington up there with Grant. Both true heroes, both magnificent in war, but not in peace. They were both men with “demons” who rose above those demons when their country need them.

3 Likes

That’s what it would make a good movie.

3 Likes

Oh man imagine that, just the old dude telling war stories in the bar, and as he slides further into alcoholism, the stories become weirder and stronger. At first it you get just some cool and very realistic air-to-air action with the hero supporting his wing and perhaps even getting a kill. In the end you see him sitting astride a flaming hellcat blazing from 16 gun port blasting a yamato class battleship to pieces while singing the national anthem.

Not a movie but Atypical on Netflix. This description will NOT make you want to watch but here goes: It’s a coming of age story about a teenager with autism. It is funny and endearing and feels real.

If I recall the book correctly, he hit rock bottom and recovered somewhat. However, yes, taking it from near the end of his life and highlighting his accomplishments through a series of prolonged flashbacks, while a bit cliche (1970’s Little Big Man being a film where it worked) might be a good approach.:slightly_smiling_face:

I read Boyington’s book “Baa Baa Blacksheep” several times in the 70’s and 80’s so when Zamperini’s story “Unbroken” came out a few years back his Japanese prison camp internment story seemed quite familiar. When the pieces finally connected and I found out both of them spent time at the Omori prison camp the familiarity between both stories made sense.

While he claims to have become sober in his book by the time the TV series was being filmed he had taken a few steps off the wagon if Robert Conrad is to be believed. Boyington was also a consultant on the TV series and even had two or three cameos as a General during its run.

Wheels

I hadn’t realized that when I read Unbroken…good catch.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The story about the tame duck that would bow to the Emperor when the prisoners did every morning is what started me looking since both men had recounted the story in their books. The other incident that was recounted in both books was the sundial “matchee” joke.

Wheels

1 Like

We saw The Predator and it was good. Has the obligatory gore and skull-spine ripping out and gushing green blood. It is a sequel to the Predators. The Alamo theater was nice, we enjoyed the bar before the movie and food during - it was a nice date for us. It’s a 45 minute drive to Denver so good news to hear a local theater is opening next month with beer & wine.

Lady Chipwich and I took in an exceptional flick last night, A Simple Favor, which I would describe it as a smartly written and well played dark comedic who-done-it.

2 Likes

Anna Kendrick can ask me anything, anytime, anywhere. Like, literally.

2 Likes

“Gee Mr. Komeniute, you are so cute. I’d love to get to know you better. But first would you mind letting this nice doctor remove your private parts. The surgery is my treat. And you won’t need those old things to do what I have in mind. That will be ok, won’t it? You big rascal you!”

3 Likes

Yeah… ok. I accept.

2 Likes

I liked the trailer for this one, and I’m a fan of both the main actors and the director (LOVED Freaks and Geeks). This may be one for a date night.

Agreed. Anna Kendrick is a perfect storm of actor/singer, whom seemingly has full cognizance of her talent and direction.

Most assuredly. The film checks off a lot of boxes for both him and her. :slight_smile:

Funny thing that happened in the theater during the film

When Anna and Blake kiss on the sofa, some dude down in the front of the theater blurted out, “Lord have mercy!” The whole place erupted in laughter.

2 Likes

Well I know what we’re doing this weekend.

1 Like

Not to mention, she seems like she’d genuinely be a lot of fun to just hang out and grab a few drinks with:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/eh0f0i/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-between-the-scenes---anna-kendrick-is-an-audience-member---s-hall-pass

2 Likes

I once told a young lass I was courting, that I was taking her to a “chick flick” for a date night…to show my more gentle and compassionate side.

The name of the film was Tears of the Sun

…well the title sounded chick flick-like…and at least I enjoyed the movie…I don’t think she was still there when the lights came up…strange.

4 Likes