Where You Are Photos

Must be the RAZBAM Mud Hen.

1 Like

What do you do when you’ve been through several different hurricane deployments and sat through half a dozen more at the beach…and see a huge storm making a beeline for you? You go shopping…

Where I live (west of Charlotte)…the stories of Hugo are pretty impressive (9 days without power)… I live in a very wooded area…the power goes out regularly with normal storms.

3 Likes

What’s your water situation like? Are you on a spring or municipal?

I’m squared away on water…

Besides that, we do have a well…and we are on septic, so we can flush toilets with pool water. I’m mostly just worried about four oak trees that are in positions that could hit the house. I’m thinking about rigging my 30,000 lb “bull rope” around their mid points and pre tensioning them to guide their fall away from the house if they come down.

I think a lot of people have forgotten how devastating Hugo was with regards to downed trees and issues like that.

4 Likes

Charlotte - area arborists have been flooded with calls the last few days because of exactly this.

My neighbors across the street had spent three years restoring a '69 XJ12, only to have Hugo drop a 300 year old oak on it a few days after they finished.

They’ve already headed to Boone for the next week.

1 Like

Testing the 120v output on the generator with an essential hurricane item…

Ops check good.

8 Likes

Have to be prepared for the essential Hurricane Margarita.

1 Like

Ha. Had lunch at the Downwind today and I can tell you that the ramps are filling up with corporate iron.

I’m heading to New Bern tomorrow for the MS bike ride. Event is still on, but I’m getting very nervous for the drive home on Sunday - especially if we’re traveling the same path as evacuees.

2 Likes

I don’t think that anyone would think less of you for skipping this year. It looks like weather wise, you should be OK. But as you know traffic jams on a motorcycle suck big time.

I just finished talking to the guys at our brewery in Charleston, wanting to know what the plan was. We just finished brewing and kegging our first 8 styles. They’re as prepared as they can be, but think that it would be more costly to try to save the product, rather than brew more. Still, the burn on a month of production would be a huge hit.

irma

I’d upload a decent photo but Vancouver, BC has basically been the backlot recreation of The Martian the last couple of days. We now have wildfire smoke from the South blowing up, and a high pressure holds it and keeps it still. It really sucks.

Not my image, but this gives an idea of how bad it has been, especially around dawn/sunset…

1 Like

You need some rain. Need some rain? We have rain. We’ll give you buy one get one free rain.

2 Likes

FEMA says to stock up on essentials from all levels of the food pyramid. Am I doing this right?

6 Likes

Yeah, after I posted that I did kind of think I may have been a tad insensitive, as in yelling ‘Oh, why can’t I have at least a stiff breeze and a touch of rain, woe is poor me!’ :slight_smile: :cloud_with_rain:

1 Like

Yes, since Irma is bearing down on Charleston, we kegged some emergency drinking beer :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wanna send some of that up I-95, since we’re in the path as well?

2 Likes

psst! Throw the wind in for free when he’s not looking.

1 Like

I don’t know man…I think I’ll take rain and potential flooding over fire. I mean, at least there is something left after a flood…fire…that is just destroyer of worlds stuff.

This man has a great evacuation plan - let the beer come to me!

Man, if this thing keeps pushing west, the brewery may dodge a bullet. :sweat_smile: Of course @BeachAV8R, @Navynuke99, and @chipwich will be tango uniform. But, at least the beer will be safe!

3 Likes