Where You Are Photos

A loving kid is a sign of good parenting. Just saying… :wink:

Mind telling me what grits are please?

It’s kinda like porridge, but made from ground corn, and is a breakfast staple here in the southern US. As they don’t have much flavor on their own, they’re often mixed with butter, cheese, hot sauce, etc, or used as a basis for other recipes - for shrimp and grits, they’re used to absorb the flavors of the sauce the dish is served with, and to provide a different texture.

Back in the days when the south was much more heavily agrarian, they were a cheap and quick source of carbs to fuel a long day of work in the fields.

Southerners, did I cover all the bases there?

Hehe love that movie…

Marisa Tomei is my Jenneke…

You done good Navynuke99! Grits are the first thing that I can remember my mother and grandmothers serving.

I’m making my family’s grits casserole for the office Thanksgiving potluck this week; I’ll post pics of that later this week.

Dammit, now you’ve made me hungry! :wink:

what is this “grits” thing you are talking about.

Recipe please !

I’d love to have the recipe as well!

Umm…

1. Buy grits: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=anson+mills+grits&tag=hydsma-20&index=aps&hvadid=178308082214&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15576065974448363843&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060032&hvtargid=kwd-29811258903&ref=pd_sl_k1de1s4fi_e&gclid=CjwKCAiAoqXQBRA8EiwAIIOWsn7sbA2eQuf0302Yi3dgLtNqMTUR8dmK7K7h-uqPgcW_dTG_KNnX9hoCsk0QAvD_BwE

2. Prepare according to directions. Cook longer for creamier, shorter for al dente.

3. Serve with butter, salt, cheese, syrup, hot sauce, etc to taste?

I think that’s it…

To be warned, when I lived in Southern California, I had to have my parents send it from North Carolina. The looks I got asking if Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods on the west coast stocked them…

So the chances of my local village store in Britanny, France selling them are slim?

Polenta is similar, but more finely ground.

I tend to order things in restaurants that I can’t or don’t normally make at home, so when I see Shrimp and Grits on the menu I usually get it. Grits have also become a staple of gourmet (read: expensive) brunch spots around here.

Fortunately a good friend here grew up in the Charlotte area and he has us over for Shrimp and Grits quite often. He has his mom send him the Grits along with his monthly order of Dukes mayonaise, which I am less enamored of.

Southerners will also try to tell you that the humidity and climate has a lot to do with how good your Grits come out but I am not buying that. Egg rolls are good everywhere and so are Grits.

Oh, it definitely does - the simple physics of boiling things would prove that. :wink:

So noooo, I am not going to argue with a trained Nuke plant operator! But I am just going to posit that Grits can be cooked deliciously anywhere.

They weren’t nearly as good at the hipster overpriced southern - inspired restaurant in San Diego. Which has a significantly drier climate.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

Not X-Plane… I think I’m in Minneapolis…

How many Mk-82s can that carry? :thinking:

My less bigger ride…