Where You Are Photos

North or south bound? That’s more or less the same flight I made :smile:

2 Likes

shexshy airbussh

Looks a bit like Chesil Beach? Maybe West Bay?

Cheering on my amazing wife as she competes in her first full Ironman. Tempe, AZ
She is the one on the white bike.

7 Likes

It’s the Petty Levels, between Hastings and Winchelsea. Reminds me a little of the Netherlands, in that you need to climb a hill to get to the beach.

1 Like

Baby Bus is Best Bus

5 Likes

Just like Baby Dash is Best Dash!

4 Likes

Together with a 737-200, they are so adorable, tiny and cuddly! Although those CFM-56-5B engines are “better” in pretty much any aspect :wink:

1 Like

MD-88 airfoil. On final for Ohare today. I was trying to explain to my daughter how the control surfaces produce movement on the different axis, and found myself contemplating the size of the flap vs aileron.

5 Likes

The size difference really has to do with function. Flaps move slow and change the wing’s chord to produce extra lift. A aileron has to move quickly and change the roll rate of the whole aircraft. It also can be smaller thanks to the torque it creates by being near the wing tip.

3 Likes

There’s an unspoken rule if two or more children are present, we’re getting ambushed with manual labor. Not pictured: marginally helpful grandchildren.

2 Likes

Get up on the roof and get those gutters cleaned too…!

Luckily there is no tree both tall enough and close enough to get leaves on the roof. The Birch could have, but it’s been gone a good fifteen years.

That’s why I meant it a point to not be home as much as possible when it’s still light outside when I’m at the parents for the holidays.

3 Likes

I just try to drink a lot and claim I’m too unsteady to do all that stuff. “Oh darn…you know, we should hire the kid next door to do that…”

:beers:

2 Likes

Speaking of leaf blowing, :slight_smile: I’m still wondering what this small turbine that I ran across today might’ve been used for. Guy said it was an old Avon turbine(?). Most likely a gas turbine.

Lets plaaayyyyyyy NAME THAT TURBINE! :smiley:

1 Like

Damn, a 17 stage compressor although I doubt there’s a booster stage in front of that. Looks like the first 6 stages have VSV’s so it might be a LPC/HPC combo. We have 9 annular can combustion chambers that have quite a few cooling inlets and a significant distance from the HPT/LPT(look at that axle up front, AGB or a compressor?). Looks like the TRF has a cooling system and a pressure system although how many of those openings are used, I’ve got no clue. Same goes for where the fuel manifolds go(CRF), I think there’s also a boroscope opening there.

I would gues some sort of military low bypass jet engine, probably mounted with another one, and they split AGB tasks(HYD/ELEC GEN).

1 Like

From earlier today.

Back home in Texas now after a 15 hour + drive. Trying to decide now if I should go to bed or just tough it out. :crazy_face:

6 Likes

The road sign in my town that always makes me chuckle:smile:

9 Likes