Where You Are Photos

Douthat State Park is nearby - lots of good hiking, and they have a lovely apple festival there around this time of year. Jefferson Pool (Thomas Jefferson’s favorite hot spring) is also close by. I’ll tell you a story about that place next time we meet up.

1 Like

Yeah, I could see how that might happen. There is a little knoll just to the left of the centerline that probably causes some squawks from the GPWS in some aircraft. The mins are 315 and 1 mile. I was actually surprised the place had an ILS…but the runway and lighting are very good. The visual illusion of descending to the intial 5,100’ at the FAF is very powerful though…you feel ridiculously low, not helped by the .5% upslope of the runway that really makes your brain hurt because you are like…I feel high…and low…

We had a direct left crosswind at 15G20 and we got popped once by a little burble but everything settled in just fine. The King Air (as you know) is great for that. Carry some extra speed and scrub it off in seconds just a couple feet off the deck.

For giggles I asked the FO to put the FLIR inset view on the G1000 MFD. There could have been a whole squadron of bears on the centerline and I don’t think that thing would pick them up until you hit them… :bear:

I’ll bet. It really felt like the middle of nowhere.

3 Likes

simMarket has a KHSP scenery that includes the bear…

5 Likes

They have an ostrich-feather and Swarovski crystal covered Bell 47 at the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao.

8 Likes

What the…

Ah yes…the very rare and infrequent with LIC (Liberace Icing Conditions). Super dangerous, often fatal, but a faaaaabulous way to meet your end.

8 Likes

Feels like ORBX Great Britain South this morning…shoulda stayed in bed…

8 Likes

5 Likes

Last Wednesday Night race of the season

We passed this boat…

…and this one…

…but didn’t win. :frowning_face:

5 Likes

So your boat survived the Hurricanes well I guess? Nice. (IIRC you were in that area weren’t you?)

Berthed in Hampton VA - across from Norfolk. Didn’t get anything from Florence. Just some high winds and blowing rain from Michael.

1 Like

Another one of Daddy’s Death Marches™… Roan High Balds, TN/NC…(your left foot is in TN, right foot is in NC…)

7 Likes

What’s all that white stuff? It seems distantly familiar, but it’s been so long.

1 Like

Yesterday’s morning run, San Sebastián in Northern Spain:

9 Likes

It looks an awful lot like snow…but in reality, it was mostly rime ice driven by 50 or 60 MPH winds and freezing temps. It surprised us because the cabin we were staying at just received rain…but after driving up to Carver’s Gap we ran into a winter wonderland. Everything was coated with this wind driven ice…I’ll bet it was brutal up there that night…

2 Likes

Things getting pretty serious at the BeachAV8R Family Pumpkin Carving Contest…

3 Likes

End results…Day of the Dead, Cat, Witch, and Grim Reaper!

8 Likes

Those are pretty good!

To get anywhere close to that I would need a 5 axis mill and mastercam to program it…

Wheels

The scariest thing I could think of… :wink:

12 Likes