Where You Are Photos

I live under a jetway (or two) and the only aircraft I can positively identify at 30,000ft with the Mk1 eyeball is the A380. There’s just no mistaking them.

3 Likes

Yeah, 10% fuel saving IIRC. I know the infrastructure is ready. The question is really “when”. I think a lot of retrofitting will be done by most airliners during overhaul once it’s out!

1 Like

I have the strangest urge to quit my job, become a pilot, and move to western South American right now…

3 Likes

Me too…! What a great report from @Sine_Nomine - and nice pics…! That sure is some lumpy terrain down there. I have to admit, I don’t have to often scan NOTAMS for volcanic activity between my usual haunts…!

4 Likes

13 Likes

Fun flying in Alaska?!

@Sine_Nomine, how cool, that is the region I currently am exploring in XP10!!! That is looking gorgeous! Are you guys hiring MX right now? :wink:

2 Likes

Played around with my new(ish) lens last Saturday (Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L):

I’ve had this for a few months now but only used it as a portrait lens. Nothing exciting but it’s cool to see a bee in so much detail

7 Likes

The lens is capable of 1:1, this photo is pretty close to it. I was no more than ~35cm from the bee when I took it.
It’s the first time I tried to do this. Not easy when the subject is constantly moving. Conditions where not ideal either, constant change of lighting (clouds&sun), no ringflash… I would have liked to use an aperture of f/8 to get a bit more depth, but it would have been too dark even if I increased ISO and decreased shutter speed. Can’t go too low on the latter with fast moving insects.

I definitely need more practice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

5 Likes

Loved Alaska, was great to get out of the heat!

The first picture is actually over Yosemite, the beach was in Hawaii but the rest are from my Alaska trip.

2 Likes

Recognized Half Dome…got engaged on top of that…!

@BeachAV8R That’s great! Going up there is definitely on my to-do list but it’s just not in the cards for this year.

Hitting some single track in Lorton, VA…

3 Likes

2 Likes

Nice! I recently took my commuter out onto some trails. Lots of fun but let’s just say 28mm road tires and sandy ground on a descent don’t mix well, I had to stop several times xD

Anyway, it doesn’t really feel like summer atm:

2 Likes

Loving life when your Argentinian neighbors have a cookout…

Back home now…5 lbs. heavier and put a dent in the D.C. area Modelo Especial inventory…

7 Likes

OMG. That grill has “GO BIG OR GO HOME” written all over it LOL! Hamburgers and sausages would fall right through the cracks. :smiley:

1 Like

Went to the Great White North (Canada) this weekend. In this case, along the Lake Huron shore on the Ontario side and the southwest portion of Georgian Bay. Got to see some nice sunsets, shoreline and a waterfall. I had to sacrifice some trigger time in Insurgency/DoI and ARMA 3, but it was worth it.

8 Likes

You aren’t kidding. It is a home made brick oven type grill. He (Jorge) is an expert grill master and has a bed of coals beneath the meats that has graduated heat from left to right…so he keeps the meats where ever on the grill that is required at the time. And he feeds small slices of oak wood onto the coals at intervals to add some smoke. His true secret though is the Dos Anclas BBQ salt he uses. I couldn’t believe he hadn’t marinated the meat…he says this salt just melts into the meat as it’s cooking.

1 Like

There are some places of the world where I’ve actually gone…man…I feel like I’m IN an Arma world (minus the shooting. (usually)…LOL…)