X-Plane 11 Screens

I was thinking exactly the same @chipwich

I suppose that articles like this build a compelling argument. But given the slow pace of development, not holding my breath.

https://fselite.net/news/imaginesim-preview-ultra-hd-texture-reiterates-prepar3d-v4-64bit/

Just in case someone came here to see an X-Plane screenshot :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Nice shot @chipwich ! which plane is that? Awesome reflections on the gauges.

1 Like

No, as usual, LM is tight-lipped about what they are doing. I’m going with the - where there is smoke there is fire logic when making the leap that 64-bit is coming soon. And soon is a relative term. I bought P3D v3 on October 10 of last year…so I’ve owned it for about 5 months, and I’ll bet I’ve spent less than five hours flying it. I think I probably spent more time setting up my ORBX scenery to work with it that I have actually in the sim flying. Which makes me regret the purchase when…even if v4 only comes out sometime before the end of 2017, I’ll probably have been fine skipping v3.

It’s just pretty hard to get excited about FSX and P3D these days…I just derive so much more pleasure from flying X-Plane. But…there are reasons to keep FSX and P3D around for sure. Things you can’t do or stuff you can’t find for X-Plane.

2 Likes

Thanks @Kludger. Carenado PC-12 in X-Plane 11 flying a hacked Air Hauler mission :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed, but on the other hand, I wonder how long Team Austin will keep XP11 in beta status? Then there is the Superbug, AH2, and some A2A titles. Oh yeah, all of that Orbx investment. Then that really nice F-35, and so on and so on…

Yeah - in general, I’m less impressed with the aircraft for FSX than the scenery and weather apps. Of course, the Superbug and PMDG planes and Aerosoft Airbus are all great and stuff…and even the A2A models with extra attention to the flight model are cool, but after experiencing the very dynamic feel of that X-Plane flight model…man, it’s hard to get over that hump. But that ORBX PNG and Active Sky and all that stuff keeps me sucked in. With time being limited though, it seems if I want to spend time simming, I’ll tend to go toward X-Plane stuff. I need to bust out your XP11 Air Hauler thread and get that working, but I’m kinda waiting for XP11 to exit beta. I’m sure lots of developer can’t wait for that to happen. I’m starting to wonder if Austin isn’t getting a little TOO picky on modeling stuff like airflow in turbines and stuff that is just screwing up stuff that is close enough…but hey, the guy has a pretty good record on making stuff work pretty well…

Yeah, but isn’t it often a case of ‘you don’t miss it until you’ve seen it, and after you’ve seen it you can’t imagine how you did without it’? I imagine being able to realistically(ish) simulate blade stalls or static tyre friction etc… adds an extra level of realism / immersion which simmers will enjoy once they experience it.

2 Likes

Most sims have a pretty atrocious ground handling, funny how that has been a neglected child for so long!

Yes - to me the most fun in sims is that point right as you go from a flying machine to a blazing fast ground hugger. In real life, it is obviously one of the most dynamic portions of the flight. The first sim to really get it right (in my opinion) was the long ago released version of the Su-25T in the earliest version of DCS. The first time I took the -T up to fly and brought it back…I was sold on that sim. The rolling moments, the compression of the gear, and the fluidity are all there.

X-Plane has always done it pretty well…although you often see a nosewheel tire that seems too light and skids (with that God awful screeching sound that X-Plane uses…ugh…). But fuselage sway and strut compression all seem pretty good.

FSX was always pretty horrible and sterile feeling. There were major improvements by individual developers like A2A and VRS, but overall I’m not a big fan. I did recently review Carenado’s Do-228 though, and somehow they managed to get a pretty nice taxiing feel to that aircraft with some nice ground feel to it. I have no idea what they tweaked to make it so, but it actually is the closest thing to an X-Plane feel that I’ve found so far.

heh yeah, FSX was way too sterile, I suppose proper simulation of LDG is rather tricky, for it is not something you find windtunnel data about, short of getting in the real thing which is not always possible!

1 Like

I’m still amazed I haven’t bought the Kodiak yet. Honestly. I’m exercising significant wallet restraint on that one.

1 Like

Oh that Kodiak, it always winks at me from the front page…

1 Like

Have you ever tried FSEconomy? It works well with X-Plane11.

FSEconomy is not great though. And has a habit of trending downward in its decision-making.

1 Like

The Kodiak still has major issues with hot starts in XP11.

1 Like

I would agree with Rhino on that, FSEconomy is a fantastic concept, I just think their execution is getting rather troublesome.

I haven’t tried it yet. I really do like Air Hauler 2 for FSX/P3D…it has a pretty slick interface and functions…

Hey Chris is just a shoot out for your spin on the Xbox plane in app purchases.I was just about devote 700mb’s to that app.I liked the way wrote your article.Loads of info and funny,I hope they do break off and make a second fighter app any way just wanted to say thank you very nice job.

Not Xbox (dam google"

Honestly, I think it’w worth giving it a try, it’s free after all :slight_smile:
The neat thing is that it’s “platform agnostic”, you can play the same career in FSX/P3D and X-Plane.

@Rhinosaurus & @TheAlmightySnark
What are your main gripe with FSE ?

A few screenshots of the SMS DHC-2:

3 Likes