X plane fresh install

Great! That is what I was hoping to hear!

1 Like

Thread for ortho4xp

1 Like

So I’ve pretty much fixed my graphics card driver problem and have now spent an evening messing around with the vulkan update.
I’m still on stock scenery and the next job will be the ortho4xp stuff which I’m currently downloading to install tonight and set up.
I’ve downloaded the propstrike 172 bush kit which is utterly brilliant, so much so that I actually cannot believe its free. Had a bit of a play with that last night and the difference between vulkan and previous versions is frankly astounding. I am blown away by the smoothness and the playability of it. The load times have increased 3 fold but this is actually a very small price to pay for the greater performance. I just go and make a brew and come back in a couple of minutes to silky smoothness.
I also downloaded a free kitfox and (obviously) a free Antonov 225 (which is not great but its just so pretty to stare at)
I’m thinking of getting a carbon cub at some point. I’m loving the tail draggers and the way they feel which is all down to the better performance in game.

Finally. After all this time owning it I feel slightly happier just tooling around my local airfields in it.

1 Like

Glad to hear that you have sorted out your system issues and that you are enjoying XP11. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Impossible! :f14: 4 ever!

On a more serious note, the last time I used XP was 8 months ago (My Rift S keeps track of that for me…nice that). I’ve decided to upgrade to the latest version with Vulkan, etc.

But before I do that, I’m installing and upgrading my ORBX sceneries. So quick question.

It gives me the option of Migrating to a different Library. Evidently right now all my ORBX sceneries are stored wit the rest of my XP scenery folders/files. The way the messages appear it seems like they are asking, “You really do want to migrate, don’t you?” Um…do I? :grimacing:

Will, I guess that depends on how much disk space you have on your X-Plane drive.

Paul,
And therein lies the rub…on a 1.86 TB drive I have only a measly 100 GB left (My first PC had a whopping 32 MB hard drive and here I am calling 100 GB “measly”…of course back then the flu was just the flu so…)

My current rig is just a Flight Sim machine. Currently DCS Open Beta, DCS Stable and XP11. I have also have ED and No Man’s Sky but are going to drop those…still that’s only a coupe GB.

I’ve got a few USB connected external HD laying about that I could use for ORBX but am concerned about the read speed via USB.

I realize that the “true” answer is to slap another HD into this puppy…but I’m a little hesitant about adjusting the BIOS…

A long answer to your short question. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have heard that using an external HDD or SSD works ok if you can put up with the longer load times. Slapping in a an extra drive shouldn’t require any messing around with the BIOS. I added a 1TB SSD awhile back and it was literally plug and play. I’m seriously thinking about adding another drive just for scenery.

With only 100GB of space left, you might want to seriously consider using a different drive. OrbX TE scenery will need more than that for a single area!

1 Like

Thanks Paul, I’m sure you are correct. Think I’ll look into a TB SDD or HDD. :slightly_smiling_face: