X-Plane releases thread

That’s gorgeous! And not without surprise, he has the talent, skills and speed to pump out some fantastic scenery!

Yeah - I wonder if he builds these things using WED or if the more advanced scenery designers use something different. WED seems like it’d be a nightmare with that many objects.

XP11 looks fantastic!
How’s VR support coming along? Any news? Flyinside any good?

Really nice looking freeware backcountry airport…NZMJ, Martins Bay, New Zealand…

3 Likes

…by the same author…NZMF - Millford Sound…

4 Likes

WOW.

To both of those. Wonderful Bush plane hideouts!

1 Like

Yeah…I think I might even write my next PC Pilot Challenging Airports on Milford Sound…looks like a really cool VFR airport…

4 Likes

You could stage out of Queenstown. There always seemed to be sight seeing flights heading out from NZQN departing towards Milford Sound (both fixed wing and helo’s).

2 Likes

I love Queenstown to Milford. Lovely flight.

And man I can’t wait till my parts come in so my screenshots can look like that. If they don’t I’m going to help hunt you down beach.

1 Like

I will say that the X-Plane scenery/object library thing is starting to get a bit cumbersome. The sheer number of libraries that are required are causing me to spend a good bit of time searching and downloading rather than flying… Tom’s XP Library Installer has helped a good bit…but I don’t really see a way to update those libraries other than re-downloading the whole thing each time (?)…

Thus far I haven’t been able to get Milford working because I’m missing libraries. I’m downloading the full libraries thing now…(takes a couple hours). I’d love a better solution…

Ya, it’s pretty absurd. Is it openscenery that has the updater? Or one of the others? That one is great because it checks your file against the latest and only downloads the missing pieces.

It’s pretty irritating how often those libraries update.

I’ll be going through the fresh x-plane 11 install when the new system is ready, so that’s a full copy paste of the custom scenery folder :sadpanda:

Looks like another new DFW has been released - this time by Aerosoft. I’ll probably be picking this one up since DFW is home to my wife’s airline…and I spend time each year there at SimuFlite. I wonder if they modeled Esparza’s and Big Fish Seafood Company…ahhh…

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

1 Like

It would be interesting to know how the Aerosoft DFW compares with the earlier version released by XPScenery…

http://store-x-plane-org.3dcartstores.com/KDFW-Dallas-Fort-Worth--Americans-Country_p_476.html

Not a release…but Danklaue (who has converted many of Carenado’s planes to X-Plane and created the Kodiak) said this a couple months ago (I didn’t catch it):

“…I’ll be travelling tomorrow. I’m going to take thousands of pictures of the PC-6, talk to pilots and mechanics, try to get my hands on all the info I can for that plane.”

1 Like

Why would you want to spend your free time in such a hive of scum and villiany? (second only to O’Hare).

1 Like

I wonder why you think that? I have to admit I’ve never really been much of a tube simmer. I have about 20 hours in FSX and atleast twice that count in crashes. Today I found out there is actually a demo for X-plane, and it ran fantastic, looked great, didn’t crash at all and it was quite fun to steer the MD-82 around for a few hours (a few times, untill the demo kills your flight).

From what I can gather, the only thing the steam version doesn’t have is acces to beta versions, but I’d probably like to stick to the most stable version anyway. Also, while I did only buy a single plane for FSX, I did appreciate I only had to buy the thing, download it, and start up the sim to fly it. From what I can gather, that works similair for X-plane on steam, and I can still use store.org planes if I wanted to. I also like that steam keeps a tally of the hours you’ve put in. So what is the reason I should steer clear of steam?

Oh, no reason - just the speed at which updates hit Steam. Laminar is a pretty prolific updater, so they come fairly quickly in some cases. That and the portability of a regular X-Plane install. You can just copy the directory to wherever you like…perhaps you can do it with Steam too, but Steam directories seem to have some layers to them.

And yes, X-Plane is wonderful. I love its stability…and the fact that if you break something, you can quickly just remove it and it doesn’t usually break the whole install. It is a great product with a much smoother and realistic feeling flight model capability than FSX.

3 Likes

Also betas. You only get release candidates on steam. For the other iterations you need the standalone.

2 Likes

I love X-Plane. Had to free up some space, just cut and pasted the entire X-Plane directory to another hard disk and it works fine. No registry stuff to deal with.

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is an X-Life traffic profile for KDCA? I can’t seem to find any with some light Google searching… @fearlessfrog? (He seems to be the X-Life guru…)

It’s a program I have (X-Life Deluxe), but haven’t fully explored and I don’t know how much it works with payware airports and XP11…