X-Plane releases thread

x-plane

I’ve had a couple of days to fiddle with Flight Factor’s 757-200 “Professional” v.2 linked several spots above (still on sale). @BeachAV8R wrote a very good review at PC Pilot about the previous version. He was kind enough to send me a copy and that was all it took to take the leap. I have never flown a 757 or 767 but I probably have 20+ hours in the jumpseat. It is not quite as convincing as the 737-200 that I gushed over a few weeks ago. But still extremely well done.

“But this time its personal…” What action film doesn’t have that line? This time for me it really is. When I wrote the 737 article I mused that maybe it was time to leave it after 20 years. I was awarded the 757/767 at my airline the next day. And for the first time in my sim career I get to join the ranks of thousand of pilots who legitimately use a PC sim for training. The Flight Factor’s 757 has a couple of excellent features. One, an FMC that ports via IP to an iPad or any other device with a browser. The other is a bit of reprogramming of the VR controllers which gives them some extra button pushing, knob turning and airplane pushbacking (no kidding!) capability. Combined, these feature allowed me to move well back from the desk and use X-Plane as an interactive “paper trainer”. I ran through all of the flows from my company manual in 2D and once I had them down, I could repeat them in VR, in the actual space. The FMC that comes with the plane has maybe 70% of the functionality of the real thing. But it was good enough. I could program it surprisingly well using the laser pointer but it was easier to lift the headset and punch values into the ipad instead. I don’t care about actually flying really. Airliners are airliners. But using the touch controllers works pretty well if you can still use your pedals. I only pulled the chair out about 3 feet and the MFGs have plenty of cord to reach.

In the 90’s I would have willingly paid hundreds, maybe more, to give myself this sort of head start in training. I’ll say it again…if you are a flight sim fan, this is a great time to be alive.

Good looking new release by TDG…freeware/donationware LERS Reus (Spain):

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/47470-lers-reus-airport-spain/

Not a release…but a fix that I found buried in the Thranda forums for the ERJ-140. It is sold as X-Plane 11 compatible, but it really probably shouldn’t be. It has a few issues that need to be sorted out and improved and the developer is fairly well swamped with work converting Carenado planes to XP11 and doing some of his own stuff. That said, I’ve always loved the ERJ-140 and if you have the 2.3 version, these two tweaks should at least get you flying in XP11:

Open the ERJ140.acf file with an editor, look for “P acf/_exhaust_rat” and change the value to 0.001

For the startup APU go to Planemaker 11 -> systems -> electrical and check APU and APU provides generator for electrical supply

Uncheck ram air turbine

The plane looks pretty good in VR. I found the flight director panel lighting isn’t very good though at night, so you need some ambient cockpit lighting. Very much a buyer beware aircraft though…if you don’t already have it, I would hesitate to recommend it at anything other than a half price sale maybe ($10)…

Sorry for the low-res shots…was playing in VR and this is just the Oculus Mirror output…

Quatam River Airport scenery by Prop Strike Studio has released! Downloading now. It’s going to be a bit of a distraction from the trek to Pago Pago, but I have been waiting on this one for awhile now.

A great video by Thomas Rasmussen:

I’m guessing @smokinhole and @BeachAV8R will be getting this one too…

Looks fantastic. I just picked up LOWK - Klagenfurt last night from SimMarket for ~ $10, it has some interesting approaches…

https://secure.simmarket.com/justsim-airport-klagenfurt-lowk-x-plane-11.phtml

A definite must buy for me.

Have done a bunch of skydiving in Klagenfurt when I lived in Munich. We were doing an 8-way and took the formation too low with a bad spot. I ended up landing in the city behind some tall apartment buildings, in a small garden. Walked to the window looking for a way out with my canopy on my shoulder, and asked and old lady where was the exit please (Wo ist der Ausgang bitte?). She smiled and called me a Fallschirmjäger. Then offered a cup of tea or coffee. I politely declined, walked through her house on to the street, and just then a car pulled up with a few of the other jumpers, yelling to get in before the Polizei arrived. We laughed all the way back to the airport, but it was not funny being under canopy over a very busy city with nowhere to land and tram wires everywhere. Best accuracy landing I ever did.

https://youtu.be/Z9Ak1w4DwV8

@chipwich, Mudspike’s very own Edward Fox… :wink:

Looks really nice. I like the occasional runway obstruction etc. Good way to add immersion and keep you on your toes.

I have never jumped over large cities, but my reserve pull was over a dense forrest of large pines…
And, it was an old round reserve, steerable by wind draft only.
There I was, decending toward a tree landing, that most certainly would hurt.
Then as I got closer to the planet, I spotted this small clearing… Could it be…? Is it really possible? Nah! Can’t be! Or, can it?
Smack in the middle of a clearing, just large enough for the chute to lay perfectly down on the moss.

That was my best accuracy landing, even if I did several DCs after. And I was only along for the ride on that one. :slight_smile:

Woohoo! Nice save for your parachute rigger Troll. I hope that you bought him/her a beer. And a round canopy over forest does not sound good at all. What do they say, better to be lucky than brave? :grin:

Using the reserve calls for a case of beer. :wink:

X-Plane 11.30 is supposed to be released next week. User Mohawk200X on Reddit posted this summary of a livestream…

I can share what was announced today (I recorded this Live stream):

• ⁠New particle engine.
• ⁠Pretty impressive performance increase in 11.30 compared to 11.20. With HDR enabled and even more with HDR disabled.
• ⁠New art work for Auto-gen. It was mentioned that cranking up the auto-gen to max will not decrease performance.
• ⁠New cities with landmarks, including: Chicago, NYC, Dubai and others.
• ⁠Cloud transparency is fixed.
• ⁠ATC system has been improved, now uses Amazon’s ai speech technology, using API.
• ⁠More realistic autopilot system.
• ⁠Improved flight physics.

Dark blue is with HDR light blue is without.

totaly looking forward! Performance increase would be much welcomed. I just lifted off for flight to Pago Pago and these updates will up the enjoyment I hope.

Thanks for the update, Chris!

Just in time for my trip to KFJK :slight_smile:

Not yet released but in da works

Nice little GA scenery - very light on objects and no static airplanes, so it is a really frame friendly little spot in the middle of nowhere, Utah. Just a few miles east of Capitol Reef National Park (on my “to do” list for sure). Pay attention to the required libraries, and it definitely does well with the surrounding ortho…

Took the Tomahawk out for a few circuits to explore the area. Definitely have to lean out the engine prior to takeoff with the 4453’ elevation. Too bad there isn’t an IFR approach…you’d think with a terminal VOR on the field they would have made something. Lots of terrain around though…

Lots of welcome and necessary improvements discussed, including turboprop, ground effect, and anti ice behavior. But I fear that we are in for a world of broken third party aircraft in the short term. Enjoy your Do228 while you can.

The Mudry CAP 10C has apparently undergone a major update. (I don’t own it…so I have no real opinions on it.)

“The Mudry CAP 10C has been updated to VR standards. Since 2D windows are not available with SASL 2.5, a brand new 3D screen can be open as a pop-up object.”

https://store.x-plane.org/Mudry-CAP-10C_p_689.html