Elite Dangerous Thread

Um I’m at the starting station/ moon thing…

Edit: let me rephrase that… I think I’m near/ in the Eranin system… maybe lol

There are a few of those starter loctions as new players are put to a random location in either the Empire, Federation (most likely LHS 3347 or Eravate) or even the Alliance.

Open up your Galaxy map (left panel, bottom left) and it’ll be centered where you are. Now zoom out. There’s a lot of places to go now…

At first something like heading for a Nav Beacon (within the same system, should be in the list of destinations in that left panel) and joining in some safe Bounty Hunting is fun, as in if you see a gun fight then make sure you are shooting at the ‘Wanted’ guy, and if he shoots back - run!

Other than that, have a fiddle with the map and visit a few stations and systems. If you are playing in Multiplayer (called ‘Open’) then you might get ‘ganked’ in a starter system and killed by an experienced player trolling, or alternatively you might meet some nice players - it’s a gamble, but it is called Elite ‘Dangerous’ afterall. If you can’t be bothered with that just play Solo till you find your feet.

1 Like

Plus a good way to find people here is to add yourself on ‘the list’.

2 Likes

Nice I added my self to the list, I’ll get a better location tonight… since I’ve only played solo, maybe I really am lost lol

OK, I’m near the Eravate system, did some bounty hunting at nav points and resource extraction zones. Found a ship with a kill warrant bounty of 80,000 or so, engaged him and instantly got a wanted label. I was destroyed by the Feds before I could even orient myself out of that mess.

Lesson learned - doesn’t matter if they have a bounty, they have to be wanted in that system before you can be cleared to engage!

Luckily, I have nothing, so a rebuy didn’t cost me much.

Before getting disintegrated in the rocky ring of some gas planet, I did manage to make my first planetary landing.

I haven’t purchased any rovers (can never seem to find a system that sells them when I want one), so this was just a touch and go, but very nice. The feeling of flight over the terrain is pretty good for a space game.

2 Likes

For bounty hunting, the default scanner just needs to scan the ship and he’ll have said ‘Wanted’ and will be good to attack. The Kill Warrant scanner is like an extra ‘bonus lookup’ that gets you extra credits for the kill as it finds outside system warrants on the perp too.

The easiest way to find what you want is something like https://eddb.io/. You can use the Station search and fill in the module you need, and put your current location as the ‘Reference System’. It’ll look up where it last saw stock. It’s worth signing up as it remembers your settings etc. I also leave running the ED Market Connector, as it helps populate the EDD commodity database for everyone else.

The other more role-playing, only in-game option is to tweak the galaxy map view so that it shows industrial or high tech systems, plus any system with more than a ‘medium’ population will probably have them - you can filter by size and market type and then just zoom around the map looking for the right colors.

But, if you don’t want to do all that, I like somewhere like Neto system, with Ising Vision station having a nice high tech store. Think of it as a tip you heard in a bar… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed on Ed market connector.
The other site is good too. I use them both. Can’t be bothered with the roleplay style for market trading. Don’t have the time to invest to doing that properly. Besides my any serious trader on this scale would work with others to create the type of info you’re getting from. Those sites anyway.

1 Like

Get to skrippo red light district as soon as you can. We have lots of upgrades, missions, variety of different security and employment systems plus some good trade runs.

Its the unofficial mudspike home system.

System Branglal
Station skriprochka
System type high tech refinery

2 Likes

That’s where I am! Branglal. Good times doing bounties there.

Damn, would love to join you, but away from home doing the crimbo thang

Just arrived. 18 short jumps in a 32ly AspX. Jump, Honk, Jump, Honk :wink:

3 Likes

I’m out at a holiday function, but how does open vs solo work, if I go into the open will I be in the same place as I was in solo? Like if I wanna meet up with people.

Yes, always the same place. Open just means you can see other humans. Solo is actually still connected play, in that trading, missions etc all impact the game’s economy background sim.

2 Likes

2 Likes

YES! Finally made some credits, completed my first mission! For being very lost still, feels good man lol

2 Likes

3 Likes

I’m sorta stuck at Beagle 2 Landing till I can upgrade my drive to get out of the 5-6 Ly range.

Lots of jumps is not fun, but you can also lessen the mass of your ship to help too. The ‘D’ line of modules weigh less, for example.

You can also do nice ‘what if’ scenarios with online tools too:

or

http://www.edshipyard.com/

are good.

2 Likes

Yah, lots of short haul mission between the systems real close there so I’m building credits as I can, with only a 2 slot cargo bay I’m kinda limited there too… dang this game is big/ deep lol

Ooo nice links!

It really is. I’ve managed to buy a T9, a Python, an ASP Explorer and usually use an A-rated Cobra MkIII. I stress about credits all the time, it never ends! :wink:

1 Like