Fridge's Battletech Campaign (spoilers, maybe)

Mission 10: Gettin’ the Rookie time in the 'pit.

I am doing a Battletech Campaign, inspired by @Bogusheadbox’s Battletech AARs and discussions, until I get bored. If you are interested, please join us over at the main thread for discussions, strategy and tactics:

Mission #4: Frankel’s return to service the lazy sod - here;
Mission #5: Let’s get those ammo containers off of the centre torso (CT) - here;
Mission #6: Got Milk? - here;
Mission #7: Sit there and try to look menacing - here;
Mission #8: Protect the Conv… No, wait! Get back here! - here;
Mission #9: Mistakes were made. - here;
Mission #10: Gettin’ the Rookie time in the 'pit. - here;

Mission AAR

I’m trying to avoid save-scumming (which is something that I tend to do a lot in XCom when I feel that I have misunderstood a game mechanic). I’m just gonna go with it here and try to get out of the habit :slight_smile:

With the sad loss of … what’s his name again? -checks notes- Drekker? Drecker? Travis? Anywhoo… we had an opening in the starting lineup so off we go to the government funded job search line, looking for someone who will blindly take orders and not complain :slight_smile:

Turns out Ghoul is is call sign … which tells me he might be related to deceased Dekker, maybe a science has re-animated his body.

Next mission is a one-skull one that I hope will not be too taxing on my resources as I get a new main scout resource trained up before I hit the next story mission. I believe it is a two-skull mission so I am a little afraid of going in with a green rookie.

I have the Jenner in place of the Spider wreck (3 destroyed parts, 3 heavily damaged parts and one intact head, left torso and arm - I am seriously considering just junking it). So, here’s the starting line up for today’s match.

Lets get the scout up front and get him in contact fast. I want to see if he is can at least take a shot before I invest in him :slight_smile:

He does well enough. I like his audio commentary - a little more fun that the previous scout (poor Dekker).

We hit the Commando on the left hard enough to encourage him to retreat a little.

The scout continues to harass him while the main force re-positions against the enemy mech on the right.

And I get a really lucky Aplha Strike on the right mech, taking out a leg fast and knocking the bandit flat.

Commando on the right has had his thorns pruned and can only run while a called shot on the sleeping mech takes off the additional leg and it’s 4 on 1. I come out of the engagement with no significant damage.

And a good set of mech salvage. I chose the Commando salvage (2 pieces and they gave me most of the rest of the locus pieces - enough to put together a spare.

I take a quick look at the market and the Spider repair bill. It’s 204k C-bills if I sell it and 148k C-bills to repair it (opportunity cost of 352k C-bills → sale income + cost savings of repair bill). I can buy a new one at the same location for the same amount. In the end I respect Dekkers sacrifice and set up the repair schedule to get the Spider back into serviceable condition.

Time to move off to a new location for some additional ‘training’ missions as I move systems to the next story target.

Fin.

3 Likes