I just installed the latest update (4.502) and I have made the following observations.
Performance has taken a hit. I have only tried VR and while I previously have been able to maintain 80FPS it now dips into 40FPS ASW regularly. There’s also some sound popping that I haven’t heard before…
Anybody else with similar experiences?
I just installed the latest update (4.502) and I have made the following observations.
huh. Performance on my end is great, mayhaps even better than before. flew most of my flight at 90fps. The new G is pretty dang good, remains playable and controllable until suddenly you black out if you don’t heed the warnings.
Have you 'caned some jerries yet? It’s awesome. Both the .303 paint strippers or the Berezina Shvak Cyka Blyat combo are fun, but most fun is the hispano quad. Pop goes the weasel goes the weasel goes POP!
Yeah, I like it so far. I exhausted my pilot and he was weezing and panting hard, after a fight.
What headset are you using? I have a Rift S and I use the OpenComposite tool.
Performance was great, before this update…
I’m still on my old rift CV1. Use the default stuff, steamVR and oculus thinger. Still on a 1070 too. I bought and paid for replacements but they just aren’t delivering just yet
Ok, thanks. Going to test some options tomorrow.
I opened Open Composite and got an update announcement. Switched to Steam VR which set the graphics to below native Rift S resolution. Looked like crap but ran steady at 80 FPS. Changed Steam VR resolution to Auto, which set the resolution to over native resolution. Looked great but ran like crap. Ran Open Composite again and switched back to Oculus renderer and all was well again. Steady 80 FPS and native resolution…
Note. I had forgotten about those annoying flickering loading screens, when running Steam VR. When using the Oculus renderer everything is smooth… Can’t understand why.
I need to get that opencomposite thing sorted then, because those loading screens are spasm inducing indeed.
Download and run the file. Hit configure and select the IL-2 exe. Hit switch to oculus.
The new fatigue and G effect simulation is pretty cool…
My virtual pilot does not like negative G, at all! He’s a lot like me in that way
He gets fatigued quickly if I shift between positive and negative load. When fatigue sets in, greyout and blackout occurs earlier and faster, than if he’s rested.
I set up a Spit9 vs a 109 and we kept going at eachother until we both were floating around like two old ladies. Good to see the AI gets worn out too.
I like this feature! It adds a dimension.
We know that the Battle of Normandy pre-order customers are eagerly waiting for its planes to arrive. It’s understandable, but in spite of our team keeping the development rate at a very high level, creating an aircraft with the fidelity worthy of our simulation from scratch is very time consuming and labor intensive. The main bulk of the Normandy planes list will arrive next year. However, some of the planes that are based on the previous ones will arrive sooner.
We have already released the P-47D-22 ‘Razorback’ and as soon as next week another one will arrive - the German Bf 109 G-6 Late fighter with an enlarged tail and additional modifications which are characteristic for the year 1944. This includes the MW-50 water-methanol injection system and an improved cockpit canopy - the ‘Erla Haube’. Being part of the 109 family, this fighter also has very good flying characteristics and powerful weaponry. The MW-50 allows increasing the power near the deck from 1480 to 1800 HP, increasing the maximum speed from 528 to 573 km/h. Of course, the engine power increase also improves the turn radius and climb rate which are invaluable in a dogfight. This late G-6 variant could also carry the WGR.21 heavy unguided rockets in jettisonable underwing launchers.
Many of you ask us how is the development of the recently announced mobile AAA is going. The physical model of a wheeled vehicle is nearly complete while the visual model of the Soviet GAZ-MM with 72-K AA gun being developed by our partners at Digital Forms has made good progress. You can see the attention to detail on these screenshots, it’s really a labor of love:
You may wonder how fast the German half-track chassis can be developed since it is partly wheeled and partly tracked, but in our engine, the player controllable vehicles have a sophisticated module structure where a combination of various propulsion types is possible. We plan to start the implementation of the German AAA half truck soon. On the other hand, the AA gunsights are a new thing, but we hope to make them as functional as Tank Crew artillery sights.
Meanwhile, we’re working on updating all the existing aircraft in the sim with the new visual models of the crew. All the fighters were given the new pilot models where it was possible to do in a universal way previously, and now we’re adding the new models to the planes where unique adjustments are required. In the coming update, you’ll get the new pilot model for P-39L-1. More detailed pilot appearance aside, this also means that an American or British pilot will be displayed if a P-39 is set to one of the countries in the mission file. Also, our friend Martin =ICDP= Catney have created an additional RAF skin for this airplane.
Another of the many questions we got recently after showing the video of the new terrain effect on the vehicles, is how the new detailed terrain roughness will affect the aircraft outside the prepared airfields when making an emergency landing for instance or taking off from a field (which is an even more difficult task naturally). We think the best answer would be another short video:
That is awesopme news @Troll.
I have never been more happy to be wrong!
Well, the fat lady has yet to sing…
But it seems like good news.
You know, having read Jason some on their forums, I don’t think he’d take kindly to being called a fat lady
New player controllable aircraft or vehicles aren’t ready yet, but we have decided to release the update 4.504 that improves many aspects of the sim. The main feature of this update is the increased visual detail of the landscape at close distances, which is a graphics option. It makes the terrain bumps and unevenness, that were previously only calculated in physics, to be visible. Overall, this improvement makes the vehicle and aircraft movement on the ground look much better and natural.
The second main feature is a nearly complete overhaul of the sound volume balance in the aircraft cockpits which was done with the help of pilots that have experience flying similar aircraft, resulting in a more realistic sound environment in the cockpit.
There are many other important changes as well, for instance, many graphical effects were improved like large structural fires in cities and more detailed tank cannon fire effects. Even the grass now bends when you fire the tank main gun! The full changelist follows:
- The terrain bumps that were previously only in the physics are now visible at a short distance, resulting in a much better visual look of the wheeled and tracked vehicles and planes on the ground movement. The detail of this visualization can be adjusted or completely disabled and works at ‘Medium’ or better graphics settings preset;
- The movement of all simplified ground vehicles (cars and tracked vehicles) also looks more realistic since the benefit from the new tech as well;
- Tanks transmission modeling was made more detailed, increasing their maximum climb angle;
- New RAF paint scheme added for P-39L-1 by Martin =ICDP= Catney;
- P-39L-1 pilot got a new visual model, animation of removing glasses on the ground and donning an oxygen mask at high altitude. In addition, setting the country of the plane to the UK or USA in the mission file changes the pilot model to UK or USA pilot accordingly;
- The ram air noise sounds depend on the flight speed, taking into account the position of the pilot’s head in the cockpit (in the center, near the side, overboard) and the cockpit canopy state (open or closed). The volume of the ram air noise has been increased, giving more audio cues in a closed cockpit;
- Airflow noise sound when stalling or at a high-G load has been improved;
- Stall sound on Yak fighters was adjusted to be more informative at high angles of attack;
- The volume of other sounds in the cockpit (the noise of the aircraft moving on the ground on the landing gear, the hissing of the flaps and landing gear valves, the background power grid noise, radio communications, etc.) is balanced according to the new volume of the airflow noise. Corrections were made to the sound volume of several engines as well;
- New motion blur effect improves the look of the player controllable tank tracks if the ‘Cinematic Camera’ option is checked;
- All Tank Crew module tanks got new gun and machine gun firing effects that depend on the muzzle power. If a gun has a muzzle brake, the effect has a corresponding shape. In addition, firing the main gun temporarily causes the grass nearby to bend down;
- The “jitter” animation issue of aircraft and tank gunners when the player left the corresponding station has been fixed;
- The tank turret stays in place when the player switches from the gunsight view to another station and there are no visible enemy targets for AI gunner to engage;
- When giving an order to other tanks in the platoon only existing tanks are shown in the menu;
- Only existing ammo types are shown in the commander menu when selecting the ammo for your tank;
- AI gunners will correctly engage a target when several different targets were assigned by the commander one subsequently;
- AI will load correct ammo as instructed by the commander;
- Gunsight zoom on VR devices with canted displays and Parallel Projection mode works correctly;
- M4A2 visors won’t look too bright in an external view;
- The remaining .50 cal ammo is shown correctly when the M2 MG installed on the M4A2 tank is in the anti-aircraft firing position;
- It’s no longer possible to hit the M4A2 turret by pushing the AA MG down and left to the limit when firing;
- The free T-34/76 STZ (1942) tank turret switches to manual turret traverse when the generator is not working;
- The free T-34/76 STZ (1942) tank field of view when looking through the gunsight has been fixed;
- Free T-34/76 STZ (1942) and Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.L tanks have their turret traverse speeds reduced the more they are tilted, just like Tank Crew tanks;
- SU-122 SPG mass has been corrected according to the latest data found (30900 kg);
- Commander’s machine guns (KV-1s and M4A2) won’t ‘stuck’ when trying to swivel them looking through the sights in VR mode;
- The graphic effect and sound of a machine gun or tank gun firing won’t stuck when the tank is blown up;
- In Quick Mission - Duel, tank settings are correctly applied;
- The 1st and 3rd missions of the “Last Chance” German tank campaign were optimized to be playable on 3.0 GHz processors (without time compression);
- The vertical adjustment sound of the PT4-7 and PG panoramas (KV-1s, T-34UVZ-43, SU-122 and SU-152) was removed since they can be adjusted along this axis separately;
- Pilot AI won’t dive into the ground after receiving a command to attack a ground target if there is no ammo;
- Fighter pilot AI won’t open fire too far away in a ‘face to face’ attack;
- A rare issue that could make an aircraft to levitate above the ground or sink into it up to 1m depth (it happened more frequently on Arras map) and therefore cause damage to it has been fixed;
- U-2VS wing damage when touching the ground during taxiing has been reduced and the landing gear damping settings have been corrected. Now it is possible to land and take off on an unprepared field with a bit of luck;
- U-2VS formation and landing lights functioning was corrected;
- Pe-2 series 87 top turret camera corrected in VR mode;
- Torn off A-20B bomb bay doors behave in a physically correct way;
- A-20B bomb bay doors will be torn off during an emergency landing (landing gear up) only if they were opened;
- A-20B cockpit view won’t shake when the mission starts;
- P-51D level autopilot won’t turn off by itself at the start of the mission in the air if the fuel tanks are full;
- Visually inverted MC.202 propeller pitch has been corrected;
- The P-39L-1 antenna won’t ‘hang’ in the air if the tail section is broken;
- Audio and visual effects when hitting the outboard cannons and bomb and rocket racks were corrected for IL-2 (all modifications), Bf-109 (all modifications), FW-190 (all modifications) and MC.202;
- IL-2 mod. 43 gunner and rear fuel tank armor has been corrected;
- An issue that could cause the aircraft with a repaired wing to move instead of stop when applying the wheel brakes has been fixed;
- Pe-2 series 87 surface material won’t visually change when moving away from it;
- A-20 cockpit glass won’t visually change when moving away from it;
- P-51D-15 spinner was made less shiny;
- Visual artifacts on the Bf 109 E-7 cockpit glass were eliminated;
- The visual image of the sea surface was improved up close (the blackness on wave crests, shadows shake, reflection and glare when the camera was directed downward very close were corrected);
- Fixed an issue that caused ships and aircraft on the sea surface to be unaffected by the movement of the waves;
- Fixed an issue that prevented the submarines from moving when the waves were high;
- Fixed a rare issue that could display a black screen when switching to F11 free camera;
- F11 camera movement was made smoother;
- An incorrect factory building roof in Stalingrad that glowed at night has been corrected;
- The visibility range of large fires (static effects City_Fire, City_FireSmall, VillageSmoke and their new cyclic versions) has been increased to 100 km;
- Settlement fire effects in Career, Quick Missions and tank campaigns won’t periodically disappear and reappear or ‘flip’ when you move the camera around them. These effects now illuminate the surroundings as well;
- Three factory chimney smoke effects for mission creators were added: Chimneystalk_smoke_white, Chimneystalk_smoke_grey, Chimneystalk_smoke_black;
- The “DummyGroundExpl” explosion effect set in the mission has been restored;
- Visual mission effects AmmoExplosion and AmmoExplosion_Big have corresponding sounds;
- House_smoke effect starts correctly, without an overly intense and dark first phase;
- Сyclic settlement fire effects City_Fire_Loop, City_FireSmall_Loop and VillageSmoke_Loop won’t visibly disappear and reappear or ‘flip’ when you move the camera around them, greatly simplifying their use by mission designers and reducing the resulting performance impact;
- German and French translations of Last Chance, Breaking Point and Wind of Fury campaigns were corrected.
The IL-2 Sturmovik development team wishes you the best in the coming year and has a small gift for you - another update. It includes the work of the community enthusiast Chiawei =Oyster_KAI= Liang who agreed to work with us more closely and make his textures even better to be included in the sim officially. All the player controllable aircraft in this update have their cockpit textures considerably upscaled and sometimes corrected, resulting in a much better look of their cockpits. At the same time, Martin =ICDP= Catney has finished working on the external textures of another plane - this time it is I-16 - and they look great. There are many other fixes and improvements you can see in the changelist below.
Happy New Year and best of luck to you in 2021!
- All player-controlled aircraft got 4K quality cockpit textures created by Chiawei = Oyster_KAI = Liang;
- I-16 type 24 fighter got 4K quality external textures created by Martin = ICDP = Сatney;
- I-16 type 24 fighter has a new “Silver” skin (painted with aluminum paint) by Martin = ICDP = Catney;
- New visual effects added for and railway fuel tanks and fuel tanker trucks explosions. The airfield fuel storage also explodes with a new effect if there is an entity assigned to it in the mission file;
- The A-20B bomber crew visual models were updated, as well as the animation of taking off glasses on the ground and putting on an oxygen mask at altitude. In addition, if the country parameter in the mission file is set to UK or USA the crew models will be British or American respectively;
- Added missing fire effect to old player controllable tanks (T-34 STZ 1942 and Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf. L);
- Old player controllable tanks (T-34 STZ 1942 and Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf. L) should no longer shoot at targets when considered destroyed (when their marker is removed);
- Old player controllable tanks (T-34 STZ 1942 and Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf. L) have visual models of the driver and tank commander;
- The surviving crewmen of the old player controllable tanks (T-34 STZ 1942 and Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf. L) leave if the tank is knocked out;
- Old player controllable tanks (T-34 STZ 1942 and Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf. L) commanders have a pistol and binoculars;
- Several cases of incorrect camera operation have been fixed (for example, when the camera remained in the cockpit of a destroyed aircraft or a tank);
- The giant smoke columns from the Stalingrad city fires should now be visible up to 100 km away from the player starting point in QMB mode;
- Wrong tree models on the river island near Stalingrad were corrected on Summer and Autumn maps;
- The cropping of the ground structures outside the mission zone has been optimized, reducing the load on the system and speeding up the mission loading in the QMB mode on the Stalingrad map (all seasons);
- The cropping of the ground structures outside the mission zone has been optimized, reducing the load on the system and speeding up the mission loading in all Career mode timeframes (BoM, BoS, BoK, BoBp);
- All internal equipment of the armored vehicles was made less resistant to the fragments of APHE rounds that detonated inside;
- Zademyanye airfield on Winter Velikie Luki map has been smoothed;
- Ju-88 cockpit raindrops effect has been restored;
- Pe-2 bombers right spinner won’t become darker when the propeller is rotating;
- The auto-oscillations of the La-5 elevator in the simplified control mode at low altitudes have been fixed;
- A technochat error that could cause an incorrect message about the flaps release has been corrected;
- Ju-87, Ju-88 and Fw-190 aircraft have technochat messages about releasing the flaps to takeoff and landing positions;
- Yak-9 and Yak-9T water radiator drag has been corrected when the radiator shutter is closed more than a neutral position;
- Lighting on both Halberstadt aircraft can be turned on only with cockpit lamp modification present;
- Technochat flap position messages corrected on aircraft with fixed flap positions;
- On A-20B bombers, problems with ANOs and bomb bay tail signal lamp at long LODs have been fixed.
A post was merged into an existing topic: IL-2 Great Battles Updates 2021