Mudspike’s Year In Review – 2016
By @EinsteinEP - May 29, 2016
Originally published at: Articles - Mudspike Forums
The year 2016 was a dynamic year: the Summer Olympics; Brexit; Solar Impulse 2; the loss of Alan Rickman, David Bowie, Prince, Muhammad Ali, Gene Wilder; the US election; etc. Things here at Mudspike weren’t quite that crazy, but it sure was eventful!
DCS World dominated our front page again, with PaulRix sharing his impressions of the A-10C Basic Flight Training Qualification campaign, yours truly reviewing the Mirage 2000C module and giving a preview of Baltic Dragon’s M-2000C campaign, Fridge walking us through tactical combat flying, Beach having a grand old time in the MiG-15bis side of the Museum Relic Campaign and then tearing it up in the F-5E Tiger, Sryan teaching us the basics of how to fight in the F-15C, and Chuck Owl’s Q&A with VEAO about the P-40F.
Beach shared his love of civilian flight sims in both FSX and X-Plane, showing us IRIS’ Battlefield Airlifter for FSX, Real Weather Connector, Aerobask ViperJet LXR, Air Hauler for X-Plane, and showing off his VR experience with FlyInside X-Plane 10.
On the hardware side, I took a good look at Thrustmaster’s T.Flight Hotas 4 and Rudder Pedals, Beach showed off his brand new GTX 1080, and Chuck Owl talked to us about the Rift CV1.
Beach also took us along for a dicey patrol in Arma 3 Tank Platoon and some exciting flying in the new Apex VTOLs.
FearlessFrog got a sneak peek at Combat Air Patrol with a Q&A while Beach got to try the early-access version — Combat Air Patrol 2: Straits of Hormuz — once it was available.
Tyco introduced some of us to Steel Beasts and Beach went back to SF2 to fight in Falklands ’82. Beach went truckin’ in American Truck Simulator and saved the day in Ship Simulator: Maritime Search and Rescue.
Beach explained why Cold and Dark is better and tried his hand at being the hero in our first View It / Do It: Cactus 1549.
- The Rio Olympics Fly-In produced a lot of great screenshots and stories.
- We had a Rise of Flight Fly-In in late April and again in early June.
- Our first Arma 3 weekend was held over July 4th.
- We celebrated the first anniversary of our forums with a friendly contest and Sryan, Fridge, and TheAlmightySnark took first, second, and third place.
- We held another DCS World Fly-In in April where we tried our first Massively Coordinated Event, and our second DCS Fly-In of the year on November 12th, the date that will live in infamy as the date EinsteinEP nuked his own airbase.
On the forum side, our resident Mad Wizard FearlessFrog was hard at work behind the scenes, bringing us new toys like Live Chat, DiceBot, and MetarBot: so far, wheelsup_cavu has managed to only destroy ONE of these!
Our most popular hangout in 2016 was our Where You Are Photos thread, where Mudspikers share their real-world life and adventures in pictures, videos, and stories. Our Game Deals and Book thread continues to expand with great game deals, although it still lacks any real book discussions.
The Screenshots & AARs forum saw a lot of great posts including:
- Snark playing through the DCS Mi-8 campaign: Spring Tension.
- Derbysieger making an ILS landing in the DCS: Mirage 2000C.
- Duke playing a few rounds of Steel Beasts.
- Sryan taking on the USSR with the West German armed forces in Wargame.
- Komemiute showing us some stuff in Elite Dangerous and Fearless Frog going through a typical day.
- Sargoth answering the age-old question: “What is Stellaris?“
- The Tuesday Night Flight crew showing what they’ve been up to every week.
- Beach blogging about being a cargo pilot.
- The DCS Screenshot thread, which has over 370 posts and is still going!
- Beach getting his own Oculus Rift and other Mudspikers describing their experiences in Virtual Reality.
To all of our fellow Mudspikers, thank you for making Mudspike a fun place to hang out! We’re looking forward to another great year in 2017.
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul.
— Walter Raleigh